• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for Salas Folded Simplistic Phono PCB

quick question about R3x and R6x values based on Q2,3,5x IDSS values

it the build guide, the following values are mentioned:
normal; R3x=9.1K ;R6x=22R
high; R3x=6.2K ; R6x=33R

in the KIT (from the first page of the thread:
normal: R3x=9.1K ;R6x=33.2R
high; R3x=6.2K ; R6x=27.4R

which values should I choose for "normal"?

thank you

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If your Q2x are 3-4mA IDSS use the 27.4R. If around 5mA IDSS use the 33.2R. If you delta button your DMM while having your probes shorted first, and then remeasure, they are probably 27R & 33R components. I would suggest you use the R3x 9.1k anyway and if this gives you a bit more max range it should still be within the control of VR2x

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is also the unknown DMM tolerance + last digit uncertainty spec which maybe tricks us that the components are coming from a more detailed range. Those are fine there anyway since the Q2x IDSS chance and its degeneration for keeping its dissipation lower is an approximation

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It depends on each circuit's nature. In this phono for instance which has no loop feedback the tight selection and matching weight falls on the shoulders of JFETS & LEDS to have good channel gain agreement but for its RIAA filter portion falls on the shoulders of film capacitors and resistors again

Salas, firing up a simplsitic based on documentation on page 1. Not sure if there are revisions. On one channel, Jfet ccs Q2x and Q3x are functioning properly, the Q1x is passing appropriate current, but i have no adjustablity on shunt regulator. Q6x is dropping full rail voltage. Does this mean it is cooked or is there an issue with its reference? I always forget how Q4x and Q6x intereact.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It may happen with MOSFETS if not wearing grounded wristband but not all the time. I am playing with them on breadboards grabbing them by the pins many times, but that one time it was dead just after assembled. Alright, DIY fun assembly standard, its not for NASA use anyway