Gap vs. Gapless. What’s the big deal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes - take for example the transition between 3rd and 4th movements of Beethoven's 5th symphony. There isn't actually a gap there. ...

Yeah, but there really isn't that big of a change between the 3rd and 4th movements. Not like between the 1st and 2nd, or between the 2nd and 3rd. You could almost make the case the there really is not a separate 3rd and 4th. Just a longer 3rd.

But I sure wouldn't want to hear it with the 1st running smack into the 2nd. You need time to let your mind settle down to a quieter state.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It is very much dependent on the genre of music and the artists/producer’s intent with the flow of the recording. Some albums have distinct gaps betwixt tracks, some do not. The albums made to have no pauses become very jarring when said pauses are added.

There are obviously people here who consider this to be an important issue and are not happy with gaps in material that was recorded with the intention of there being no pause between tracks.

I apparently don’t listen to that type of material and in fact have quite the opposite need. With a few exceptions classical pieces have intentional gaps between movements to let the listener clear his mind and get ready for what comes next. Which often times is quite different from what precedes it.

My reason for bringing this subject up in the first place was to see if I need to be concerned about gapless playback when considering new equipment or streaming sources. From what I’m seeing so far the answer is no.

Should it not be done as was it originally intended by the recording engineer. As previously stated, some are intended to flow from one track/movement to the next. On others there are definite breaks between tracks . which can be used to change to a different mood.
I listen to many different genres of music. Many classical pieces are designed to flow into the next, as are Pink Floyd et al. But for goodness sake, put in gaps between hard rock/metal tracks, and vocal tracks etc.

Last edited:
I don't consider the recording engineer to be part of the creative process. At least not as far as classical music is concerned. All I care about is what the composer intended and the conductor's interpretation. The recording engineer needs to be entirely transparent.

It might be different for some forms of popular music. But taking for example a Sinatra album I think the pauses between tracks should be there. Like the movements in a symphony you need a few seconds to clear your mind from the previous and get ready for what comes next.

I listen to KUSC quite a bit, which is mostly classical. Every once in while they will fade the end of one piece into the beginning of the next. I haven't been able to determine yet if it's intentional or accidental, but I'm hoping it's the later, because it is very annoying.

Yeah, but there really isn't that big of a change between the 3rd and 4th movements. Not like between the 1st and 2nd, or between the 2nd and 3rd. You could almost make the case the there really is not a separate 3rd and 4th. Just a longer 3rd.

But on a CD the two movements are going to be distinct (separately numbered) tracks, hence with replay of a ripped CD and without gapless playback there will be a gap just where you don't want it.

It really wouldn't bother me that much one way or the other. Actually I've always thought that there should be a pause between the 3rd and 4th. But since there isn't, I'm alright with that as well.

I just think too much is being made out of this gap vs gapless issue. At least for my listening pleasure.

So I've answered the question that I had to begin with. Do I need to consider gap vs gapless capability when adding new equipment or features? While other people may think it's important, for me the answer appears to be no.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.