GainWire Mk3 CFA pre/phone amp with very low distortion

Recommendations for building the preamp

Hi Damir,

are there any recommendations for matching the transistors. If yes, which transistors should be matched (PNP-PNP, NPN-NPN, PNP-NPN). I was wondering, why you use 0,1 % resistors for the emitter resistors.

Is it ok to increase R19 to 221R for a gain of 10 dB. Are there any poblems to exspect for this modification?

D1 LED sould be a standard LED,no high efficiency LED (2mA)?

BR
Günni

Hi Damir,

are there any recommendations for matching the transistors. If yes, which transistors should be matched (PNP-PNP, NPN-NPN, PNP-NPN). I was wondering, why you use 0,1 % resistors for the emitter resistors.

Is it ok to increase R19 to 221R for a gain of 10 dB. Are there any poblems to exspect for this modification?

D1 LED sould be a standard LED,no high efficiency LED (2mA)?

BR
Günni

Hi Gunni,
There are some requirements for transistors matching:

Vbe matching:

Q11/Q12, Q3/Q4, Q15/Q16, Q13/Q25, Q14/Q26

hfe matching:

Q1/Q5, Q2/Q7

Those 0.1% resistors are in Current Mirrors and distortion is greatly influenced by theirs mismatch. You can use 1% resistor but match R5 with R6 and R14 with R16 to 0.1% tolerance.
Transistors matching is not overly critical, DC offset will be corrected with DC servo and distortion will go up a bit if not perfectly matched.
The LEDs are just indicator that CCSs work, you can use even green one if you prefer the color.
You can use 221R for R19, the preamp will be perfectly stable.
BR Damir

I ordered the parts , missed a few the jfet's . I was thinking about the pot. Alps log.
Where do you get sk170 & 2N5286 in 1 order

TME has J111 (instead 2N5286) and J112 (instead 2SK170BL) but I never used them in GainWire. You can buy them, they are cheap, and try in CCS configuration with 15V power supply(or similar), to see what source resistor values are for requested CCS current, adjustable between 1 to 3 ma for J112 and 8 to 12 mA for J111.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Gunni,
There are some requirements for transistors matching:

Vbe matching:

Q11/Q12, Q3/Q4, Q15/Q16, Q13/Q25, Q14/Q26

hfe matching:

Q1/Q5, Q2/Q7

Those 0.1% resistors are in Current Mirrors and distortion is greatly influenced by theirs mismatch. You can use 1% resistor but match R5 with R6 and R14 with R16 to 0.1% tolerance.
Transistors matching is not overly critical, DC offset will be corrected with DC servo and distortion will go up a bit if not perfectly matched.
The LEDs are just indicator that CCSs work, you can use even green one if you prefer the color.
You can use 221R for R19, the preamp will be perfectly stable.
BR Damir

This is an important post that should be linked from post 1. Otherwise will get buried as time goes by.

J111 (50pcs) J112 (25pcs) bc 549c bc559c diotek (1000pcs total) just for fun. Got Soome 23 years old philips bc550c and 560c in a box. Fairchild about few hundreds , I got a toy the atlas 75 dca pro . What circuit do you use matching the transistors?

I use this for complements.

Attachments

• bjt-Vbe-matching.jpg
    bjt-Vbe-matching.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 735
The boards are here. I had to pay 36 EUR more for VAT, but that's Croatia.
I am going to assemble one board and test it.
I am quite slow (old age) and if someone wants the boards to be sent before I finish my board let me know.

Attachments

• IMAG2429.jpg
    IMAG2429.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 970