Gainclone for guitar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know the subject is not new :bigeyes: but I've some questions to ask you because I try to read all messages about gainclone but I don't find the answer to my questions.

I'd like to build a gainclone for my electric guitar, so I think to use 1 rectifier PCB, 2 PCB with LM3875TF that amplifyy 2 speakers 100W 8ohm.

I've found (in my garage) a trasformer that have secondary voltage of 24-0-24 and 300VA, is it suitable for the project?

Another question...
I've found a little circuit to control the tone (bass, middle, treble) at http://www.runoffgroove.com/tonemender.html this circuit use DC power (9V).
How could I use the same trasformer of gainclone to power this circuit?

Sorry for the "stupid" questions but 'till now I only make little circuits with 9V battery, for me it's the first time that I use a trasformer :confused:

Thank you, and sorry for my awful english :angel:

Andrew

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
jeppix said:
.....I'd like to build a gainclone for my electric guitar, so I think to use 1 rectifier PCB, 2 PCB with LM3875TF that amplifyy 2 speakers 100W 8ohm..I've found (in my garage) a trasformer that have secondary voltage of 24-0-24 and 300VA, is it suitable for the project?

Hi,
The LM3886 is a better choice for this project. It's possible to use the LM3875 instead but you should use a very good (big) heatsink.

...I've found a little circuit to control the tone (bass, middle, treble) at http://www.runoffgroove.com/tonemender.html this circuit use DC power (9V)....

It's possible to use higher voltage to power this circuit (up to 30V). I suggest that you try a simple regulator based on the 7824 chip (24V), which should be connected to the + output of your amp's nonregulated power supply. The 7824 datasheet can be found easily on the net.

Regards,
Milan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.