Gainclone chip amp. 0.1uf 63volt bc polypropylene

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Andrew im trying to find 0.1 uf 63 volts bc polypropylene capacitors as outlined in my title of this post. This is the first amplifier ive built. These are for both the power supply and on the circuit on the lm3886. The pcbs i bought from chip amp.com but was trying to source the bc polypropylene caps in europe to save on postage charges.

Andrew im trying to find 0.1 uf 63 volts bc polypropylene capacitors as outlined in my title of this post. This is the first amplifier ive built. These are for both the power supply and on the circuit on the lm3886. The pcbs i bought from chip amp.com but was trying to source the bc polypropylene caps in europe to save on postage charges.

Yup this is your first project, and you want to get everything right, because you fear the results of failing to do so will be failure.

Back in the day newbie project caveats mostly stressed getting the soldering right. I suspect that the need for that may not have changed a lot.

Fact is that LM3886/LM1875/LM3875 ICs were designed for use in low cost audio amps where esoteric parts would be economic suicide. Don't believe me, read what the manufacturer says about these parts:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm3886.pdf

Applications:
Component stereo
• Compact stereo
• Self-powered speakers
• Surround-sound amplifiers
• High-end stereo TVs

Also see "Supply bypassing" on page 20.

They will work wonderfully with good quality commodity parts, even (heaven forbid) Mylar 0.1 uf 63 VDC capacitors.

Andrew im trying to find 0.1 uf 63 volts bc polypropylene capacitors as outlined in my title of this post.
The introduction does not specify whether the 100nF are for decoupling duty, or coupling duty, or filtering duty.
That's why I suggested they are not used for decoupling duty.
This is the first amplifier ive built. These are for both the power supply and on the circuit on the lm3886. The pcbs i bought from chip amp.com but was trying to source the bc polypropylene caps in europe to save on postage charges.
power supply decoupling is specified in the National datasheet.
Use x7r ceramic for decoupling duty.
Do not use MKP for decoupling.

MKP are good for filtering duty.
MKP are usually not required for coupling duty.
Learn to read specifications and datasheets and particularly how to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Forget about remembering the drivel you find spread around the internet.

MKP are very good for some duties. i.e. filtering.

The introduction does not specify whether the 100nF are for decoupling duty, or coupling duty, or filtering duty.
That's why I suggested they are not used for decoupling duty.power supply decoupling is specified in the National datasheet.

Please supply a link, because several of the National Semi datasheets I reviewed made no specific recommendations for power supply decoupling.

Please notice that any datasheet from National Semiconductor is by definition obsolete because on April 4, 2011, Texas Instruments announced that it had agreed to buy National Semiconductor for $6.5 billion in cash. National Semiconductor does not currently exist as a corporate entity. Its data sheets have no standing.

The TI sheet does have some comments about power supply decoupling, but it seems to disagree with your comments.

arnyk said:
Please notice that any datasheet from National Semiconductor is by definition obsolete because on April 4, 2011, Texas Instruments announced that it had agreed to buy National Semiconductor for $6.5 billion in cash. National Semiconductor does not currently exist as a corporate entity. Its data sheets have no standing.
You mean all existing NatSemi chips are no longer obliged to do what their datasheet says they should do? Instead, they now must follow the TI datasheet - even if they were made before April 2011? I never knew chips were that aware of M&A activity!

You mean all existing NatSemi chips are no longer obliged to do what their datasheet says they should do? Instead, they now must follow the TI datasheet - even if they were made before April 2011? I never knew chips were that aware of M&A activity!

Of course I'm not that stupid, but thanks for offering the suggestion that I might be.

Do you mean all new TI chips are still obliged to do what their old National Semi datasheets said they should do?

Of course not.

Since you seemingly couldn't figure it out by yourself (presuming that you are a person of good will), that is what I meant.

Your statement was unclear, yet surprisingly dogmatic.

The sarcastic and insulting intent of your rediculous assertion was far more clear.

I merely reflected back to you what someone might understand your statement to mean.

I'm utterly amazed that you wouldn't know a priori about the buy-out of National, or the legal status of a company's claims after being bought out.

That had the desired effect of getting you to clarify. So we are both happy.

I am sorry that I overestimated your knowledge.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.