Gainclone building thread based on BrianGT's boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You could buy a super cheap 5.1 receiver and just remove the Dolby Digital/DTS circuitry from it. However, I don't know how complex these circuits are, and I don't know if you'll be able to find white papers on the IC(s) to figure out how to make it suit your needs. The better method would be to by a DVD player with an onboard decoder (don't they all have them now?) and either an optical/coax digital out, which you can set to a raw 5.1 PCM output, or better yet, one with 6-channel analog outputs. The 6-channel PCM-out would require a separate, multi-channel DAC, which would be expensive, whether you make it yourself or not.

Another source for the Decoder chip(s) would be the DVD player itself, but I would expect it to be easier to figure out how to use it if you get it out of a home theater receiver circuit. Anyway, it wouldn't be easy, but it might be fun.

-Logan

Pictures:

Attachments

• amps.jpg
    amps.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 825
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Coulomb said:
What's the word on the balanced-bridged 200 to 300 watt Gain clone PCB's Brian?

It would be nice to have a new PCB rather than wire 6 boards together per channel. A single strip maybe with 3 OPAMPS on either side. with the caps in the middle. I have some perfect Heat sinks for this configuration. :) :) :)

Anthony

Are you saying you want boards for a Concentraclone?

The LM3886 is probably better than the LM3875 for this task... but I am still planning on trying it out with my boards and the LM3875. I would have tried it out yesterday, but I am still recovering from a cold and needed to rest.

--
Brian

If the bridged amplifier were made out of a cluster of BLB (Brian’s Little Board),

It could be called the Contatenclone. I may be alone in this, but I kind of like the idea of mating the BLB to some form of a motherboard to build bridged amp.

PHilgeman,

Are those VCA's that you’re using for volume control?

Thanks.

-Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.