fusion fp-1002 problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello ive got a problem with my amp not sure if needed but heres the specs on it.
Fusion FP-1002

2 Channel Amplifier

Fantastic amp for running two average 12" subs or one really powerfull one.

2 Ohm Stable MOSFET Amplifier Design
FUSION Regulated Amplifier Technology (F.R.A.T)
FUSION Intercooled Semi-conductor Technology (F.I.S.T)
FUTRANZ Efficient Heat Sink Transfer Technology
Gold Plated 4 gauge Power and Ground Connections
Gold Plated Audio Input and Output Connections
Gold Plated RCA Output for Multi-purpose installations
Compatible with FUSION bass control remote

Product Specifications

Bandwidth 10Hz - 40kHz
Signal to Noise >95dB
Fuse Rating 2 x 25A
Separation >60dB
Input Sensitivity 300mV-8V
LP Variable Crossover 40 Hz - 160Hz @ 12 dB / octave
HP Variable Crossover 40 Hz - 600Hz @ 12 dB / octave
Variable Bass Boost 0dB + - 18dB Gain @ 45 Hz
Variable Sub Sonic Filter 20 Hz - 55Hz @ 18dB / octave
Input Impedance 20K
Damping Factor >200
T.H.D 0.05%
Dimensions D 57.5mm L 290mm H 220mm

12.6 Volt Power Output Specifications
95 WRMS per Channel @ 4 Ohms and 1% THD+N
140 WRMS per Channel @ 2 Ohms and 1% THD+N
300 WRMS Bridged Channels @ 4 Ohms and 1% THD+N

14.4 Volt Power Output Specifications
130 WRMS per Channel @ 4 Ohms and 1% THD+N
210 WRMS per Channel @ 2 Ohms and 1% THD+N
425 WRMS Bridged Channels @ 4 Ohms and 1% THD+N

being new to electronic repair id like to try myself but no clue where to start. or what to look at i did pull it apart but no clue what i was seeing didnt see any burnt or black though

the proble is it worked great for about 1 1/2 years and now it powers on ok lights green and stays green when 1st turned on it works ok but after a few minutes all you can hear is a solid bass thumping(and out of sync with music being played) noise if that makes since.volume stays the same whether you turn it down or up...and it feels warm to the touch..i have 2 cars with amps and subs so i removed it and hooked it to the other and it does the same thing..
any advice would be appreciated thanks

photos

ok got it out and took a few shots of the insides if you need different just let me know

SDC10289.jpg

SDC10291.jpg

SDC10292.jpg

SDC10286.jpg

You need to check the output transistors (those near the large white transistors).

When checking transistors (bipolar or FET) with your meter set to ohms, you should not read anything near 0 ohms when the probes are touched to the terminals of any individual transistor in any configuration. If any are shorted (~0 ohms between any 2 legs of any individual transistor), they will likely be shorted from leg 2 to leg 3 but you should check 1-2, 1-3 and 2-3.

Check all of the transistors individually. If it appears that several are shorted, you'll need to remove all that appear shorted from the board and check them individually. In the case of the output transistors, if you find only 1 shorted in a group of parallel-connected transistors, you can reinstall the ones that are not shorted to see if the amp will power up. If it does, you need to replace all in that group of parallel transistors. This is generally only viable for audio output transistors.

got a multimeter

ok perry i was able to pick up a digital multimeter..but really not sure if im using it right..i read through the instructions and did a(what i think is test the transistors)this is the one i have..

http://www.byramlabs.com/popup_image.php/pID/8180

SDC10287.jpg

now if i did it correctly what i found is if you look from the bottom of the picture up the 5th and 6th transistor on both sides had a 0.00 reading.

could that be the problem.if so what would be my next thing to try
Thank you

i have the manual doesnt really tell me much ..it jsut doesnt do anything when i push the range button goes from 1st click on the range button 000 second 0.00 and third 00.0 ..it does have a couple setting that say 200ma.. i also linked to the one i have in the earlier post not sure if that helps you any though

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.