Fuses and heat dissipation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. Nearing completion of the PSU for my valve phono stage. The primary fuse will see both heater and HT current, I'm using a 1.6A fuse to start with, May have to go to 2A.

I measured the resistance through the fuse at 2ohms, though I strongly doubt the accuracy of my multimeter at that level.

If 2ohms is correct, then at 2 A the fuse would dissipate 8W...? Can that be correct? Seems surprisingly high to me.

The fuse will read almost zero. It is your multimeter leads playing games.
I have just built and tested an RIAA pre-amp with Baxandall tone controls. Uses two ECC83 and two EF86. Very quiet, very high gain from the EF86 and I use a 125mA Time Delay fuse which is quite sufficient.

Thanks Jon - yes I did wonder. it's getting on a bit (and was a cheapie), might think about buying a newer, decent quality one if I see a bargain somewhere.

Rh,
what does you ohm-meter read with the probes touching?

That reading can be subtracted from any resistance reading you take across other low value resistors.

A very few DMM do this subtraction electronically when you "set up" the ohm-meter.

It varies between switch ons, sometimes up to 20. I've changed the battery and reseated the plugs, but it still varies.

Not to worry, I only measured the fuse out of interest. I think I'll keep an eye out for a decent MM on sale.

testing a fuse non destructively with any meter is a go nogo type of test for us mere mortals. generally the 'buzz out' mode is sufficient on a decent DMM for debugging bad AC connections. edit > reminds me of the Bugs Bunny cartoons> testing bomb fuses on a conveyor belt with hammer blows .
what's a MM /moving meter?
if you haven't used a meter in a long time replace batteries and test the meter 1st.

Last edited:
It varies between switch ons, sometimes up to 20. I've changed the battery and reseated the plugs, but it still varies.

Not to worry, I only measured the fuse out of interest. I think I'll keep an eye out for a decent MM on sale.
a new DMM should have resistance scales from 199.9 ohms to 19.99Mohms, 199.9mVac to 600Vac and 199.9Vdc to 1000Vdc
Any others are just for guides and are rarely accurate. I don't place any value on them.
But handy if they offer continuity buzzer, hFE and capacitance
A basic DMM offering 199.9Vac can be found in the UK for <<£10.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.