Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the same way, someone can fine-tune the responsiveness of a car engine

Hate to disappoint you, Frank, but even with pushrod & single valve high cubic inch displacement, a laptop plug-in and software tuning is the standard.

(afraid your car analogy belongs to the middle ages, as do the metal flavors, both stuck in time)

Last edited:
A good mechanic can do both, but only with a basic engine. I was trained to work Crypton tuning kit back in the day, but I could still tune by ear and feel. I think that's what he is getting at, sometimes I liked the result better when I did it the old fashioned way, but usually not.

Some guitar players jibed me once for my electronic tuner, they told me if I still needed that gadget I should probably give up. I mainly used it to get a new set close, then I fine tuned the strings to suit me, I saw nothing wrong with that approach but neither made me a decent player.

Ah your eyes

As an addendum : my partner suffers (badly) from a (very rare) system affliction since '09.
Her overall well-being is strongly influenced by temperature and humidity level, but a 3d and very important factor is air pressure variation.
Less than 1k pascal fluctuation has a profound negative effect, downward variation more so than up.
One might also think of other semi-closed areas of the human anatomy, for sensoring and transponding signals for perception of frequencies out of the aural frequency range.

(main reason to be in the Caribbean every couple of months, with the intent of permanent residency in a couple of years from now. Pressure variation there is a couple of hundred Pa over an entire year, in contrast with several thousand in a days time on Euro soil. Plus near constant temperature and humidity)

I then danced naked round a pentagram I drew around my system, chanting "silver is shiny, silver brightens my sound" after sacrificing a tin of beans to Apollo, there was a puff of smoke, and I finally managed to exorcise the Maxwell Demons from my system.
Even my wife, who is not a audiophile, noticed the change straight away when she came in from the kitchen, saying "What the .... are you doing dancing round the living room naked covered in baked beans!"
:D

I do wonder what kind of impression folks overseas must get of the brits on here :D

Were they Heinz marce? you have to watch out for the 57 different variety's, their dissimilar content can prejudice the whole outcome if you don't compensate by wearing your union jack socks (with sandals of course) and a knotted handkerchief on your head while singing rule Britannia, off key.

Last edited:
Ahh, so as well as being a skinflint you are agitator, rebel rouser and I suspect a bounder and possibly even a cad!

You actually expect the gods of audio nirvana to grant you permanent entry to their eternal paradise and yet you dare to use cheap generic beans in the ritual! are you mad!

I never understand this. If silver wire sounds "brighter" then it has a different frequency response than copper. Even if the addition of silver wire alters treble FR by 0.2dB, that is easily measured -- frequency response is one area where surely even subjectivists will admit that we have instruments that are far more sensitive than human ears. Let's also stipulate that, for whatever reason, swept-sine FR measurements will not produce the observed effect (seems reasonable, since no known mechanism could account for such a difference). So feed broad-band white or pink noise into a line amp stage (where "broad-band" means either 20Hz-20KHz, or limit it to something like 100KHz), pass the signal through a meter of copper wire (your pick), measure the output, then repeat with a meter of silver wire. If the difference is audible, then the 2 outputs should show frequency response differences well over 0.2dB in the audio range. In fact, this would be an excellent use of Audio DiffMaker, or some other nulling technique. The silver wire should show more HF content. Has anyone ever done this and demonstrated a difference?

I love my silver plated, PTFE insulated, Mil-Spec wire! It looks nice, is very easy to work with and I have lots of colors too. Does it sound better, I don't know...

Agreed, I habitually use teflon-insulated silver-plated stranded copper wire. I use it because it is nice wire and seems to be "high quality" compared to cheap Radio Shack stuff. Do I think it sounds any different? No. If it did, would I attribute the difference to the silver? No.

I find that silver sounds 'brighter', perhaps too 'bright' to be comfortable, unless it is broken in. This is for you newcomers who still use their ears for listening.

I guess that the silver didn't have a chance to "break in" during its million plus years in the ground before being mined.

This is such nonsense. Wire does not break in by playing signals through it.

The only issue I have is, does measuring tones at certain frequency's reflect accurately enough the actual experience of listening to music with it's various timbres. Also my hearing has predictably responded to age so I no longer hear frequency's above 15k, I still hear a difference between silver and copper cable though. I think this effect we are looking for takes place mostly in the midrange's.

I'd like to see the result of your test though if someone tries it.

That's the point of using white or pink noise as a test. If the "brightness" is, as fas42 would have it, because the silver wire causes additional distortion, then that would show up in additional HF energy (distortion components of lower frequencies in the input).

Of course, I expect nobody has ever shown this because it doesn't exist.

One thing the spammers were too lazy to look at is this, proving once again that they are totally incompetent:

I found something interesting here. FM stereo multiplex is similar to CD-4 quad LPs, in that both use an ultrasonic subcarrier or carrier to generate the demultiplexed signals. FM stereo uses double side band supressed carrier subcarriers centered at 38 kHz with a 19 kHz pilot added for demultiplexing the signal in the receiver. L+R in the audio region, L-R on the subcarrier. CD-4 LPs use basically an ultrasonic FM carrier (with phase modulation on part of the signal), centered at about 30 kHz. F+B in the audio region and F-B on the FM/PM carriers.

On page 58 of this reference, the use of high quality cables is recommended between an FM receiver and outboard stereo multiplex decoder.

Evaluation
Aside from poor or no separation, beats & chirps and an odd “reverb” sound are the mostcommon symptoms of poor multiplex alignment. These noises can also be symptoms of poor tuner alignment or functionality, or a bad or incorrect cable. Scott outboard multiplex decoder units are designed to work with cabling of 1 meter or less. Use only good quality video cables, not cheapy audio cables. A cheap audio cable will kill the high frequencies and thus the stereo pilot signal.

http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/userpics/10007/HH Scott Tuner Alignment.pdf

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?15988-Silver-tonearm-wire

Of course, they don't have the attention span or reading comprehension to understand it.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I never understand this. If silver wire sounds "brighter" then it has a different frequency response than copper.
Not necassarily. It may distort in a different way. Perhaps it has more high harmonics than other metals. That would make it subjectively brighter. There are mechanisms other the straight F.R. that affect tonal balance.

This is such nonsense. Wire does not break in by playing signals through it.
So says you, but without any proof. That silver wire has undergone a LOT of work and transformation since it spent millions of yeas in the ground as ore. How do you know it doesn't change with current passed thru it?

Status
Not open for further replies.