Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are valid connection methods where the shield is directional and Whitlock covers these in his presentations. For home audio where nothing is more than a few feet apart it is unlikely to make a difference.

Indeed, grounding signal cables at only one end can make an improvement in certain cases.
High impedence in/outputs on preamps/amps are more prone to ground loops and hum.
And yes, for eternity, dual-ended grounding was and is the norm.
I certainly don't have any problems with my systems.

One of the other forums I am a member of has an ongoing debate of about the benefits of running audiophile grade network switches and ethernet cables. The manufacturer of said audiophile grade network switch even goes as far as to recommending running multiple switches in series but state that one starts to see diminishing returns after 3 switches.

Not to say that people haven'y always "tweaked" things, but the current style of their workings has followed all the junk the internet spews out. Like that annoying "recapping" craze.
are you sayin’ upgrading from CHEAP caps is a waste? I “upgraded” by REMOVING the passive components - now tri-amped! Same drivers w/out the, at best, edgy upper mid - lower treble. At worst, finger nails on a blackboard!

And don’t holler “placebo” effect because I upgraded one speaker at a time to compare the differences. Due to 8 and 10 gauge wire soldered whenever and wherever possible, I realized greater dynamics in the lower octaves, too.

I agree some of the above are examples of “STUPID” in this hobby!

are you sayin’ upgrading from CHEAP caps is a waste? I “upgraded” by REMOVING the passive components - now tri-amped! Same drivers w/out the, at best, edgy upper mid - lower treble. At worst, finger nails on a blackboard!

And don’t holler “placebo” effect because I upgraded one speaker at a time to compare the differences. Due to 8 and 10 gauge wire soldered whenever and wherever possible, I realized greater dynamics in the lower octaves, too.

I agree some of the above are examples of “STUPID” in this hobby!

Any "cheap parts", depending on their location and function, can be deterimental to audio, or even video, for that matter.
I certainly do my best to remove any sub-standard stuff like that, in order to enhance reliability as well as performance.
But I'm not some sheep-like nutcase that believes everything posted on the internet.
Only fools with no real experience or education buy into that stuff.

As for wiring up speakers with heavy, insane gauges of wiring, that's up to the consumer to decide.
I suppose the old "bigger is better" term fits here, and those people should also rig their homes with massive copper buss-bars running through their walls for AC power distrubution too.

Personally, I don't see justification in such "over-done" attempts, when it's a fact that reasonable, 16 gauge copper wiring for home audio speaker systems is sufficient.

From the Nordost website:

"How can cables be directional?

When cables are manufactured they do not have any directionality. However, as they break in, they acquire directionality.
Although the cable signal is an alternating current, small impurities in the conductor act as diodes allowing signal flow to be better in one direction over time. This effect is also called quantum tunneling, which has been observed in experiments over 25 years ago. Regardless of the purity of the metal used, there are still diode effects in all conductors. In addition, the insulation material will change when it is subjected to an electrical field."

SO, does that mean they "break in" the cables, then test for directionality and then label them?

I find that hard to believe.

Nordost is by far the worst companies I have had to dealt with
crooks

From the Nordost website:

"How can cables be directional?

When cables are manufactured they do not have any directionality. However, as they break in, they acquire directionality.
Although the cable signal is an alternating current, small impurities in the conductor act as diodes allowing signal flow to be better in one direction over time. This effect is also called quantum tunneling, which has been observed in experiments over 25 years ago. Regardless of the purity of the metal used, there are still diode effects in all conductors. In addition, the insulation material will change when it is subjected to an electrical field."

SO, does that mean they "break in" the cables, then test for directionality and then label them?

I find that hard to believe.

It also shows they don't even know how a diode works, or they do and are preying in those who don't.

If there are these micro diodes, what is the forward voltage drop? WE know that unless the signal voltage exceeds the forward drop, the diode acts as an open circuit. That is exactly how early analog signal switches worked before FETs. Keep the analog signal below the diode forward voltage, the signal is blocked. Apply a DC bias to the signal above the diode forward drop, the signal will pass right on through. Now considering this how can a wire have diodes built in and still pass an un-distorted signal? Distortion through wire is immeasurable at audio frequencies.

Directional cables are BS, its an AC signal that passes through!

Recapping is a waste of time unless they are leaky old paper caps that are being replaced with modern polyester ones.
Electrolytic caps also fail with age, but they are usually not part of the audio circuit, so likely you will have very noticeable problems with the amp if they are bad.

I think I am going to start up a business selling cable magnets. 20 or 30 should be sufficient for a 1 meter cable. It aligns the electron spins in the conduction band so there is no transfer interference as the move from one cu atom to the next. This eliminates transference noise. Noticeably quieter and clean signal with full dynamics. Works with silver conductors even better , but it takes more magnets per meter as the silver electron spins need higher B fields to align them.

I am thinking about 12 bucks per properly aligned field magnets each.

Reading through this thread I can't help but think of a classic scene from The Simpsons

Code:
Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm.
Lisa: That’s specious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you, dear.
Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
Homer: Oh, how does it work?
Lisa: It doesn’t work.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: It’s just a stupid rock.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: But I don’t see any tigers around, do you?
[Homer thinks of this, then pulls out some money]
Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.
[Lisa refuses at first, then takes the exchange]

Status
Not open for further replies.