Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps not a scam, just selling something which really is expensive to make but quite unnecessarily so because you don't actually need what it provides. Achieving near zero rumble at the expense of severe arm-turntable instability would not seem to be a good engineering tradeoff. It probably works OK after a fashion and it will probably sell to a particular market. It just won't improve the sound.

Raising the platter several inches serves no purpose and creates lots of problems, a few mm and taking advantage of the damping of the air layer makes more sense. The wobble has been noticed by many.

Also read carefully the excuses for the delays and you will find an implication that the platter is not magnetic or conductive (I'm sure this was unintentional).:rolleyes:

Listening is always an important part of development. Louder is not always better in my experience. There is a balance for each particular room, equipment combination.
I like having the ability to listen at a lower than natural level in order to reduce ear/brain clipping and hear more detail than I would if I was listening to the real musical event

You are sort of saying the customer is wrong.

It is the policy of our house to give the customers what they want.
That is very strong medicine and usually only needed once.
(Consultant's creed)

So who exactly are you designing a circuit to please? Your oscilloscope?
I disagree with this approach.
Now you are saying that designing pre-amps and power amps that can convincingly play music is easy.
I think I see where you are coming from. I'm firmly in John Curl's camp on this one.

You have my compassion.
But not enough that I would really care.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yep, that's an added bonus, I can't think of a single (musical appreciation focused) reason to go to a concert/gig/festival/recital
I rather like concerts. The level of immersion I find is such that the experience is heightened, and given we see with our eyes, having the musicians laid out in front of you causes a far greater appreciation of the music. Plus the actual effort of getting there means you are ready to enjoy.

If I lived near a good venue I'd chose season tickets over better equipment. There are of course other musical genres where this does not hold (or the performers are long dead).

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Yep, that's an added bonus, I can't think of a single (musical appreciation focused) reason to go to a concert/gig/festival/recital

And that's good - we're all different. I like live music, and try to reproduce that experience at home to some extent. So we all prioritise different aspects of the sound experience, some like "blameless" sound, some like a little distortion, some care about sound image, some couldn't care less and would be happy with mono.. etc....

Yes. What I'm not taking into account in that statement is that historically music was a social activity and one it was more common to participate in, in fact, up until recently it was almost obligatory. What I'm alluding to really is the quality of the sound and in that sense we have a wonderful amount of freedom nowadays to please ourselves and increase our pleasure in this regard

And that's good - we're all different. I like live music, and try to reproduce that experience at home to some extent. So we all prioritise different aspects of the sound experience, some like "blameless" sound, some like a little distortion, some care about sound image, some couldn't care less and would be happy with mono.. etc....

I'm probably not alone that 90% of my music listening comes about at work with earplugs (AHEM earbuds) to allow me to focus on my work and move the day along more pleasantly. It's nice having a good hifi system at home (even if 3/4 of the fun of it is working on it) but honestly, cell phone + earbuds is far and away my primary listening mode. Isolation and comfort rank higher than fidelity (although isolation *is* fidelity here).

I do enjoy live when I can and wonder why so many people spend inordinate amounts of time/energy/money on a home system when it could be better spent going out to see much of the music one enjoys. And that includes airfare!

Now you are saying that designing pre-amps and power amps that can convincingly play music is easy.

I think I see where you are coming from. I'm firmly in John Curl's camp on this one.

I showed you what you get. I'm fairly certain the designer of that amp does not believe in measurements but more empirical design and "voicing". An up to 5dB level and frequency dependent boost, who could argue that that is not audible? If this is OK what's the point of discussing it?

So this would apply to unit with different frequency response curves?
As there is no way to match levels across the band. (without using EQ).
So you look for levels that sound the most alike?
Other than speakers, it's a non-sequitur. Modern hi-fi DACs, preamps, amps have practically flat audio frequency response. If you want lo-fi audio electronics, then that's a different discussion.

When serious audio designers refer to 'voicing' amplifiers, we don't necessarily measure frequency response differences. Scott, you have some device that has an added frequency deviation for some reason, but it is not a normal audio amp or preamp in performance. Where would I, for example be able to change the overall frequency response of one of my amps? Where is that cap, inductor, etc that I could possibly adjust to effect the frequency response, except at the very extremes of the hi and low response where you don't care about in any case?

The main benefit for me listening to a concert is that one is listening to something real. Even a live broadcast of say a classical music concert on the radio has artificiality injected into it. Whether it be the spot microphones on the woodwind that make them seem closer than the strings, or the winding up of the soloist that changes the balance, the compression of loud passages, the playing around of the balance to highlight solo passages for orchestra members. Recordings are on a completely different level of all this of course. But then I am, or was a musician, so my views probably are not typical at all.

It's definitely different strokes for different folks. I know my older brother actually prefers recordings (mostly) to live concerts unless its classical or an intimate setting. My younger brother is the opposite. I like a mix and the social aspect is pretty important.

In the end it's experiential, although that is difficult to generalize.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.