Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Max Headroom said:
So what causes resistance loss in metallic conductors, and in what form is the 'wasted' energy ?.
Here is a very brief physics lesson.

Resistance in metals is caused by lattice defects, which act as scattering centres. You can derive Ohm's Law from this.

The 'wasted energy' appears as heat.

This is the end of the lesson.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Silver is used there because tinning is impossible.
It would melt at the temperature needed to extrude PTFE.

Depends what you are tinning* with surely? I had thought the silver flash was because the copper layer was alloyed, but could be wrong there as it's been a while.

*pedantically 'tinning' was historically with tin. These days I assume any coating that covers something can be called tinning.

derivation-of-ohms-law
Q - Is it possible to derive Ohm's law (perhaps in some appropriate limit) from Maxwell's Equations?
A - No, it is an approximation and not derived from first principles. It is based on empirical observations.
how-can-one-derive-the-ohms-law
Q - I am looking for the derivation of the Ohm's Law i.e., V is directly proportional to I. Can someone help me with it?
A - A simple answer is that except in an oversimplified linear response model, it isn't even true. The characteristic curve U(I) for some material can be quite nonlinear and depends on the particular properties of the material. So the reasoning is simply: everything looks like a straight line if you zoom in enough. Drude model is a pretty standard "idealized" material model, but basically, you should look at Ohm's Law as an empirical statement.
A - Ohm's Law is not a construct which can be derived. It is essentially a generalized observation. It is only useful for a few materials (conductors and medium resistivity), and even then virtually all of those materials show deviations from the ideal, such as temperature coefficients and breakdown voltage limits.

A - Rather, Ohm's Law is an idealization of the observed behavior of these materials. As the saying goes, "All models are wrong. Some models are useful." In this case, Ohm's Law is extraordinarily useful, but that doesn't make it universal. Semiconductors, for instance, do not follow Ohm's Law in any large sense, and look how widespread their use is.

As originally discovered and formulated, there was a great deal of wishful thinking involved. There was no understanding of the forces involved, and there was no real definition, for instance, of voltage or current. Nonetheless, it was determined that a self-consistent set of values was possible (you can define different battery chemistries as producing specific voltages, and get consistent behavior of galvanometers - as long as you're willing to accept experimental error). Over time, standards were set and more objective measures discovered, such as the quantity of electrons in a coulomb, so that a current of 1 amp can be unambiguously measured) Eventually, a very good understanding of the behavior of electrons (and holes) in conductors was reached, and that understanding is generally, for a wide range of useful conditions, expressible as Ohm's Law.

But it is not derived.

Depends what you are tinning* with surely? I had thought the silver flash was because the copper layer was alloyed, but could be wrong there as it's been a while.

*pedantically 'tinning' was historically with tin. These days I assume any coating that covers something can be called tinning.
AFAIK the silver plating is to prevent oxidation of the copper at the temperatures involved for Teflon extrusion.

Dan.

'Heat' is a broad term covering a range of frequencies, is the emitted spectrum different according to conductor material ?.

I think we can agree that resistance in metal conductors produces random noise of some type or other. Whether or not slight differences in noise in a particular test circuit would make any audible difference in sound quality would remain to be shown. The first step would be to measure the difference between two identical circuits, other than wire type. If a measured difference can be shown, then the next step would be to show that somebody can blindly and repeatedly distinguish an audible difference. If so, their description of the sound difference should hopefully make sense in relation to the measured difference.

For example, if the only difference measured is noise level, and the listener says one sounds a little more noisy than the other, then everything taken together would appear plausible.

If the only measured difference is noise level and the listener says one sounds like it has a wider and deeper sound stage with more bass extension and extraordinary dynamic presentation, and the other sounds flat and lifeless in comparison, then we may have more of a puzzle on our hands to sort out. But, it boils down to replication and analysis, and perhaps more experimentation, to find a proper scientific explanation.

Last edited:
No. Not in the world of science. Would it have been safe to assume cold fusion was already proven so no replication necessary?

There's still a lot of Bayesian work to be done before jumping to such purely empirical methods. It's worth getting a rough prior plausibility or you quickly end up getting yourself under the umbrella of this paper:

Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials | The BMJ

There's a happy medium between leveraging prior knowledge and actually measuring stuff. I'm sure you know this after a long career that you don't run off on a wild goose chase when one measurement looks funky. And before anyone tries to use this as "look, things done by observation", one should think hard about effect size: It's the effect size, stupid: what effect size is and why it is important

Last edited:
Max Headroom said:
So, single crystal conductors should provide no scattering centres ?.
No. Even single crystals contain lattice defects.

'Heat' is a broad term covering a range of frequencies, is the emitted spectrum different according to conductor material ?.
No, heat says nothing about frequency. Temperature may give you a spectrum, if you know or assume something about the material emissivity. No idea what this has to do with audio, though.

Is the wasted energy solely in the infrared band ?.
Who said any of it was in the IR band? Much of it will be lost by convection.

You appear to be groping in the dark for something, anything, which will vaguely justify your peculiar notions.

Ohm's Law can be derived if you assume certain things about metals and how they scatter low energy electrons. Ohm's Law turns out to be true to a high degree of accuracy for metals, although this does not necessarily prove that the assumptions were true. Ohm's Law, however, is not a law of nature - unlike Kirchoff's laws (for example).

Markw4 said:
I think we can agree that resistance in metal conductors produces random noise of some type or other.
This ransom noise is so small that it is not a problem when communicating into deep space.

The first step would be to measure the difference between two identical circuits, other than wire type.
My guess is that this noise could be calculated but probably not measured, as it would be swamped by other noise sources.

I'm sure you can look up the data yourself, TB. Do remember that you're looking at a situation where you'll have a combination of oxides and sulfides of both copper and silver.

Edit: and chlorides from manufacturing/sheathing, likely.

If you need help understanding your findings, that's well and good but I won't be Huck Finn'd here. It's not a material set I've worked closely with.

Let's go further than this. There are 2 separate resistivities:There is the 'ideal' resistivity and there is the residual resistivity. Residual resistivity is what we can control and 'ideal' resistivity what is determined by the thermal and intrinsic properties of the the metal. The actual equation for resistivity is actually a little different than the simplified one. (more later)

No. Even single crystals contain lattice defects.
So, perfect single crystal conductors should provide no scattering centres ?.
No, heat says nothing about frequency. Temperature may give you a spectrum, if you know or assume something about the material emissivity. No idea what this has to do with audio, though.
Emission/transfer of heat energy in a vacuum relies on energy transfer/loss by EM radiation, which by definition has a spectrum.
It is to do with fleshing out why silver conductors can cause audio systems to sound different to when employing copper conductors.
Who said any of it was in the IR band? Much of it will be lost by convection.
Convection implies a fluid medium, I stated emission implying vacuum, if I meant Convection or Conduction I would have said so.
So, does the emission spectrum vary according to material type for a given temperature of the material ?.
You appear to be groping in the dark for something, anything, which will vaguely justify your peculiar notions.
I stated my observations, as has JC, as have countless others regarding audio systems sounding different according to silver/copper conductors.
I am not seeking justification, I am seeking reasons, and expectation bias is not a factor.
Ohm's Law can be derived if you assume certain things about metals and how they scatter low energy electrons. Ohm's Law turns out to be true to a high degree of accuracy for metals, although this does not necessarily prove that the assumptions were true. Ohm's Law, however, is not a law of nature - unlike Kirchoff's laws (for example).
Assumptions = generalisations.
This ransom noise is so small that it is not a problem when communicating into deep space.
Radio communication is over a very narrow bandwidth wrt a carrier, audio is entirely different.
My guess is that this noise could be calculated but probably not measured, as it would be swamped by other noise sources.
Such as please ?.

Dan.

Trying to keep things simple and reasonably intuitive. But, we can make things more complicated and sometimes need to. On the other hand, Daniel Kahneman said, "in a court trial the side that needs to explain statistics to the jury will lose."

For any with insomnia, back-and-forth academic discussions may provide some helpful relief: http://bixby.berkeley.edu/wp-conten...approach-to-evidence-based-medicine-09.06.pdf

I think I will abandon this line of discussion here, but others may wish to dive in.

Last edited:
...I stated my observations, as has JC, as have countless others regarding audio systems sounding different according to silver/copper conductors.
I am not seeking justification, I am seeking reasons, and expectation bias is not a factor....
As they say Dan, it is unlikely to improve something without measurement. You will embark on a tiresome crazy wild goose chase if you try to find the mechanism without any quantifiable something to serve as a baseline.

Status
Not open for further replies.