Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Both of these are road legal. The maker lives a few miles from me. Oddly enough when you see a sofa drive down the road pursued by a 4-poster bed you do question your sanity!

Attachments

• street-legal-sofa-car.jpg
    street-legal-sofa-car.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 208
  • bedcar.jpg
    bedcar.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 209
No content. Does nothing to refute the thrust of CarlP's post.
I said it doesn't cost 10s of thousands of dollars because it doesn't. Ones I participated didn't and the ones I've read about didn't. You can read about those too if you wish.

And it can be done in living room in order to be valid because it has been done successfully. Those who believe in fancy / expensive electronics producing better sound prefer that it's done in the comfort of their own domain, not some lab because of the stress which they blame as a crippling factor of their ability to hear difference. Haven't you seen such response before? If not, I suggest you do some search on your own. I'm not here to spoon feed you info especially after your prominent display of attitude.

The rest of your post is bunch of conjecture.

BTW, I suggested, "There are certain things that are better understood by doing it. If that's too much for you, talk to those who have done it or read about those who documented their audio DBT." Have you done any reading? My guess is no. :rolleyes:

580ish Volts, very little current is the norm. Hunt out the Kevin Gilmore designs for better drive electronics. He has posted a lot on head-case.org.
Thanks.
It seems that the SB boxes deliver 230V or thereabouts bias voltage.
This is the goop and chrystal thread; better circuits are not needed ;)
I am using a Yamaha receiver at the moment, works fine, no real desire to build a dedicated amp for now.
My main question is driver current....my filters work wonders on these 'Ear Speakers'.
I will take a listen to ferrite filters tonight and compare.

Dan.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I had the same thought

Some people complain about inspections, but I'd rather not put my life in jeopardy of the ones who do not keep their vehicles properly maintained.

Same here.

Me and my mother actually go above and beyond to comply with the road rules and the maintenance of our cars, I have never skipped on maintenance and have never conned the inspector. I've been known to do a full overhaul on a cars brakes only to sell it a few weeks later for half the price that I bought it for (Bought for $1k, Sold for $550 with 1 years rego) because I feel it needed it really badly.

The 1993 Camry 2.2L manual that my mum owned was simply an old car and we did try to fix it as I've said, the handbrake linkage was tightened the pads were replaced and the clutch was replaced and I personally went through the intake manifold and cleaned it out (suspecting a blocked hole) and I raised the idle speed a tad to try and fix the conking out issue, but it still didn't fix the problems so now its off the road and she's driving something much better.

Sometimes it goes that way and you can't do anything about it, there is rust encroaching in on it now (everywhere, seabreeze makes the bonnet rust like crazy) and she bought it for $300 so its not worth fixing.

In fact I'm currently working on a 1997 Camry Vienta V6 right now (That I paid $2k for, originally the car sold for $40,000 AUD) which has a cracked windscreen and stuffed shocks with a broken rear passengers seatbelt, I received the car in that state and didn't know about the seatbelt or the stuffed shocks until after I owned the car for a year when my mum needed to use it when I was driving my dad and mum back from hospital. Not just because I want to keep it safe and road legal but because I like the car and how it handles on the road and it has leather seats inside and a full split stereo system though the power steering could do with a bit more boost which I might get into later on.

Note not my car pictured, just some random pic off the internet:

Attachments

• 31-diyaudio.JPG
    31-diyaudio.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
It might not really be a snake oil thing, but it still surprises and upsets me how much salesmen and saleswomen in the electro stores say 4k tv's are better because image looks better because it just looks better just because (until they run outof reasonably sounding excuses). Just admit it, the 4K TV won't make grandma's VHS tapes look better. In No hell of a way can it make them a native 1080p

A smartass could say there was VHS-HD (digital) but nope. That was 1080i. c:

Same here.

Me and my mother actually go above and beyond to comply with the road rules and the maintenance of our cars, I have never skipped on maintenance and have never conned the inspector. I've been known to do a full overhaul on a cars brakes only to sell it a few weeks later for half the price that I bought it for (Bought for $1k, Sold for $550 with 1 years rego) because I feel it needed it really badly.

The 1993 Camry 2.2L manual that my mum owned was simply an old car and we did try to fix it as I've said, the handbrake linkage was tightened the pads were replaced and the clutch was replaced and I personally went through the intake manifold and cleaned it out (suspecting a blocked hole) and I raised the idle speed a tad to try and fix the conking out issue, but it still didn't fix the problems so now its off the road and she's driving something much better.

Sometimes it goes that way and you can't do anything about it, there is rust encroaching in on it now (everywhere, seabreeze makes the bonnet rust like crazy) and she bought it for $300 so its not worth fixing.

In fact I'm currently working on a 1997 Camry Vienta V6 right now (That I paid $2k for, originally the car sold for $40,000 AUD) which has a cracked windscreen and stuffed shocks with a broken rear passengers seatbelt, I received the car in that state and didn't know about the seatbelt or the stuffed shocks until after I owned the car for a year when my mum needed to use it when I was driving my dad and mum back from hospital. Not just because I want to keep it safe and road legal but because I like the car and how it handles on the road and it has leather seats inside and a full split stereo system though the power steering could do with a bit more boost which I might get into later on.

Note not my car pictured, just some random pic off the internet:
I am still driving an 1995 Corona Exsior 1.6, some small tweaks make passing cars on the highway quite easily. Last inspection it was meeting the latest exhaust standards in Taiwan, way beyond originally required. Fuel consumption currently is some 22% better than when new. Recently started testing some stuff on a LandRover mpi ...

Joined 2016
Paid Member
This is road legal in the U.S.A...... and its owned by a cute young lady;)
YouTube

We got New MOT / Modification Rules coming in shortly which will make every 'true' hot-rod in the UK none road worthy :mad:
Alter your engines bhp / torque out-put by more than 15% on later type cars and your TAX will almost double :mad:

But, the good news is that from next year the tax exemption for 40 year old cars is being extended to an MOT exemption for 40 year and older cars too...

It might not really be a snake oil thing, but it still surprises and upsets me how much salesmen and saleswomen in the electro stores say 4k tv's are better because image looks better because it just looks better just because (until they run outof reasonably sounding excuses). Just admit it, the 4K TV won't make grandma's VHS tapes look better. In No hell of a way can it make them a native 1080p

A smartass could say there was VHS-HD (digital) but nope. That was 1080i. c:

The motion picture industry is my trade and these HD television sets give me eye cancer within a second. All the softeware that's used in these thingies to "increase" picture quality is abominal.

But, the good news is that from next year the tax exemption for 40 year old cars is being extended to an MOT exemption for 40 year and older cars too...

Ahhh, my source didnt tell me That, time to buy an MG Midget and build me a Caterham 'Lotus' 11 replica :D

And if I have to reduce my '02 Audi TT's state of tune, I'll remove some (lots) of weight from it.

Last edited:
I am still driving an 1995 Corona Exsior 1.6, some small tweaks make passing cars on the highway quite easily. Last inspection it was meeting the latest exhaust standards in Taiwan, way beyond originally required. Fuel consumption currently is some 22% better than when new. Recently started testing some stuff on a LandRover mpi ...
20+% better fuel usage sounds good, what are you testing ?.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.