Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, this place is turning into a T-shirt factory:

Milk Churn.jpg

I recall something I read in the Audio Critic years ago, about how a well known writer or editor of a "high end" audio mag said or wrote something about how some "tweaks" do not change the electrical signal in any way, but still change what we "hear"....................
May Belt (Mrs. Peter Belt) wrote something like that in Stereophile. She wrote that their products do not affect the electrical signal or the sound in the room.
Their products affect the human listener. She also claimed that their products affect all listeners (knowing and unknowing). But then, that was never demonstrated.

I tried exactly that today with my clip-on filters but the chicken sh*t radiologist was too scared that his bosses machine 'might' get damaged.
I will speak to his boss tomorrow, such experiment will be interesting.

Dan.

I take it you don't work with critical or medical equipment.
What if your "improvement" makes it mask something?

The Radiologist isn't being chicken, He's being smart.

I work on very critical systems, you don't make any change
without it being thoroughly tested in a lab environment first.

Note: Tested by Real Engineers with Well Documented testing.

Then when the upgrade, fix, etc, is deployed another round of field
testing is performed before the equipment is put back in service.
(Usually with the Engineers monitoring the install and field test.)

Last edited:
Wow, very interesting. I have good pitch sensitivity but am NOT pitch perfect. I wouldn't know if a given song is in the correct pitch, but I WILL know if the performers aren't playing in correct relation to the pitch being played. In other words, I have good interval sensitivity but am not pitch perfect. I hear pretty slight off-center LP pressings, which is a pain but at least I don't go crazy if the LP or the turntable is off-pitch.

The reason I find this interesting is that it reinforces the notion (that I mentioned earlier) that different people have different relationships to sound. I wouldn't ever tell someone they don't hear something, at least until there is a blind or double blind study to prove their hearing. Even then... Remember that it's possible to prove a positive (that they CAN hear something) but not a negative (that they CAN'T hear something).
I have some related sensitivity to "speed" changes. Years ago in adolescence, I have some Walkman and made a hole for constant adjusting the tape speed with a screwdriver, due to my obssession for correct replay speed (at a amazing accuracy***). Results that my music parents says I detect clearly one semitone change OR LESS in recorded music, yet I'm unable to tune musical instruments...:confused: (but for this one needs training)
I yet have to hear el cheapo record players that plays with correct speed (even some "HiEnd" ones). But good ones plays perfectly for me (no supernatural thing here, of course...)

EDIT: *** comparing with the CD original, even when I don't have listened to CD various days, and resulted correct. Most walkmans have poor speed compensation.

I have some related sensitivity to "speed" changes. Years ago in adolescence, I have some Walkman and made a hole for constant adjusting the tape speed with a screwdriver, due to my obssession for correct replay speed (at a amazing accuracy***). Results that my music parents says I detect clearly one semitone change OR LESS in recorded music, yet I'm unable to tune musical instruments...:confused: (but for this one needs training)
I yet have to hear el cheapo record players that plays with correct speed (even some "HiEnd" ones). But good ones plays perfectly for me (no supernatural thing here, of course...)

EDIT: *** comparing with the CD original, even when I don't have listened to CD various days, and resulted correct. Most walkmans have poor speed compensation.
Off center records are for me a pain, like for some people here.

Interesting ideas here recently. So what's the bottom line for snake oil products and this thread? I tend to be a skeptic about most tweaks but in the end, if someone hears, or claims to hear, improvements in their systems - snake oil or not - should we really care? Placebo effect is sometimes real, meaning that when people are given sugar pills instead of real medicine, they sometimes get better. If their health improves simply because they believe in the cure, who are we to argue? If someone has a happier time listening to music in their system, and that improvement is worth the cost of the snake oil TO THEM, what right do I have to try to change their minds? Meanwhile, maybe on occasion there really IS something at play that the usual analyses fail to uncover? (no comment on Bybee products in particular)

The value of this thread to me is in the fascinating/absurd product ideas people come up with and their efforts to sell them. As a skeptic I am frequently amused. But personal attacks on people who are believers just seems silly to me. Let's get on with finding new products to gawk at.
For the internet readers seeking useful info on audio electronics, debunking and challenging of bogus claims is a necessity. If that bothers you, then there is a simple thing you can do. Care to guess what that is?

So how much magnetism did you measure on the disk before and after demagnetizing? If you didn't measure, then what did you change? How fo you know what you changed, and by how much?

Let me help you out:. Vinyl records are not magnetic. The only thing you changed was your brain.

Fremer reported a test IIRC the effect was less than 1/1000th of the earth's field which is non-uniform so the LP would have to be exactly the same position for any valid measurement. Also the LP was not even close to being "demagnetized" totally there was simply a small change measured (no indication of how valid the measurements might be). There is no reason to dispute out of hand the possible existence of contaminant particles with a non-zero magnetic moment. I would think you need one huge Helmholtz coil to measure at this level.

Why would this matter? I could not find a single user of strain gage or electrostatic cartridge so hard to test the claim of magnetic induction. The stylus removing the effect with every play is a new twist and of course two consecutive plays of the same LP are subtly different in the first place. "Everyone can hear it " did not pan out for Mr. Fremer.

I'm afraid May Belt's stand is held by many folks so looking at signals is a waste of time anyway.

Last edited:
Updated from contributions. Now with added pith!

Typical characteristics of snake oil products...

1) Huge price mark-up, like price 100x material cost
2) Hijacking of a topical scientific principle, but the claims contain scientific blunders and lack of understanding of those principles and science in general.
3) No credible, controlled trial to show efficacy.
4) One person company, absence of credentials or exaggerated/fake credentials.
5) Strip-down of product reveals ordinary components that have been obscured.
6) Glowing testimonials from ' professionals ' with prefixes such as Dr or Professor added to their names , upon closer inspection it turns out that the Dr is a hypnotist and the Professor a school janitor.
7) Advertising on and being revieved by 6moons. (and other sites)
8) "Quantum" in their product name
9) Claiming "years of research".
10) Claiming Military sales (eg: secrecy and gravitas)
11) Patented or proprietary (more secrecy)

add more...

Sorry, it would probably be a fluxgate magnetometer or something similar that one would use for this measurement.

How can an LP be magnetized? It’s plastic!
The fact is that pigment added to the plastic during the manufacturing process is the culprit. The minute amount of ferrous material in the pigment causes LPs to become magnetized. Testing at the Tokyo Nanotechnology center with a IHI Gauss meter showed that after an LP was treated with the deMag the magnetic field of the LP was lowered from 620~630 nT to 572~582 nT (nanotesla: a unit of magnetic field strength,1 Tesla = 10,000 gauss)

So barely a 10% change and substantial field still present, even the claim of demagnetization is somewhat questionable.

there is no commercial magnetometer available that I can find with a sensitivity approaching even 100 orders of magnitude of this claimed measurement.

To have even the slightest chance of measuring this, you would need a mumetal box at least .5 inch thick and big enough on the inside for the lp. Then you would need a large coil around it to null out the earths magnetic field (like high powered electron microscopes)

And then still not a chance.

Updated from contributions. Now with added pith!

Typical characteristics of snake oil products...

1) Huge price mark-up, like price 100x material cost
2) Hijacking of a topical scientific principle, but the claims contain scientific blunders and lack of understanding of those principles and science in general.
3) No credible, controlled trial to show efficacy.
4) One person company, absence of credentials or exaggerated/fake credentials.
5) Strip-down of product reveals ordinary components that have been obscured.
6) Glowing testimonials from ' professionals ' with prefixes such as Dr or Professor added to their names , upon closer inspection it turns out that the Dr is a hypnotist and the Professor a school janitor.
7) Advertising on and being revieved by 6moons. (and other sites)
8) "Quantum" in their product name
9) Claiming "years of research".
10) Claiming Military sales (eg: secrecy and gravitas)
11) Patented or proprietary (more secrecy)

add more...

12) Seen on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.