Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, if you get too close to the thermal limits for a speaker line fuse, you might see some effects. Of course, in sensible designs, the fuse is contained within the feedback loop so even those small effects get knocked down. Someone wrote about that in Stereophile about 35 years ago, a very smart, sensible, and handsome young man with the initials "SY."

Yeah, if you get too close to the thermal limits for a speaker line fuse, you might see some effects. Of course, in sensible designs, the fuse is contained within the feedback loop so even those small effects get knocked down. Someone wrote about that in Stereophile about 35 years ago, a very smart, sensible, and handsome young man with the initials "SY."

Wow, the same initials you have...what a coincidence..

(handsome's what killed it..):D

jn

Sylvester Youngblood ....?

Frank, do you design your own amplifiers/electronics? Do you know how it works? If the answer is no, then you can't have any basis for calling the science sloppy!!
I should have have made it clearer in that post - I'm referring to the research into what matters, and doesn't matter in audio as regards listener sensitivity - the "get a bunch of people in a room, hit 'em with a mess of sounds, which ones do you like, or don't like" - that sort of thing.

The designing of electronics is fine, but the people who do it need to know what is truly significant, and what is of lesser importance ...

My opinion about why people fall for snake oil is simply that they have never bothered to learn electronic theory/practice, aren't all that bright to begin with, yet want to somehow have some sort of control over their audio products and not feel left out of the chain.

If they wish to do so and waste money on foolish products that is their right but when they try to defend their purchases/tweaks and can't show any objective proof that the sound was changed,but keep harping on and on how it was and that those that can't the difference must have defective hearing, then they need to shut up.
Apart from the nastiness, there is quite a bit of the context of the 'problem' stated here - those who can't hear the differences, or are not interested in discovering whether they're audible, defend their postion by pulling out the "can't show any objective proof" card every time - they know this is almost guaranteed to be a putaway, but if the person is brave enough to dig out some investigation into the behaviour then the latter will be savagely attacked, every possible flaw in the work will be highlighted - while ignoring the fact that research that backs their, objective, POV was sloppy ...

Last edited:
How long is a wire?

Went to a pro supplier for a canare 75ohm s/pdif cable , figured the shortest necessary length would be best. The "cable guy" was pretty insistent I should have him make it as a 1.5metre length.
Because everyone (except me) knows this will sound better than any other length. Better than 50 cm. better than 100 cm. better than 152 cm.
When I asked why he asserted this is so , he just said it is what it is.
I took this as his way of saying I was too dumb to spend money in his store, and left.
Anyone else have an idea what this fellow was on about? Or on?:spin:

Status
Not open for further replies.