Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone suggested that fish oil may be a profit maker being cheaper than snake oil! :D

Try this for your further edification:

ART TR 30: multipurpose oil for HiFi

The JApanese army fed this stuff to some of their troops during WW11….it had many beneficial effects + the fact that their hair fell out!:)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"The A.R.T. in Florence, Italy, proposes it as a cleaning oil for contacts and vinyl LPs"

:eek: uhhhhhhhh NO
[/FONT]

DO NOT use it on LPs!!!! It dilutes (for lack of a better word) the cement which holds the stylus to the cantilever. Up to that point it was better than any LP cleaner/wet system that I had ever heard…..it was a long time ago. I suspect that it is probable that it replaced the original plastercisers which had migrated from the records but that eventually they too would become over soft and 'melt'. It is also a brilliant corrosion cleaner!

Like honestly, if I had bought an 5k amp, and was told that in order for it to sound better than my current (hypothetical) 300$ amp, was to make sure that no other electrical appliances were plugged in to the same ring main, I would call bull sh!t

Dont know about sounding the same , but anything plugged into the same feed will add noise to the mains and could/would deteriorate the sound. This is one reason why power cords can change the quality of playback...

Seen ....:drink:

Just finished with the VHAudio site someone mentioned.
Quantum chips aside, wow!
My friends think I'M strange for not wanting to use power bars, instead power and plate amps are fed with multi leads from one plug; same thing for sources.
That's definitely the shallow end of the pool compared to their stuff.
If only they used their powers for good...

Set it and forget it

Dont know about sounding the same , but anything plugged into the same feed will add noise to the mains and could/would deteriorate the sound. This is one reason why power cords can change the quality of playback...

Isn't power line noise nullified by the conversion to dc?
Also thought it's common practice to shunt rf noise to ground.
Never had a satisfying answer about 6 ' of cord fixing miles of problems, but I am enjoying quiet transformers and possibly better playback since powering things through a dc blocker.

@FAS42

Would you take a look at these as an example of how much trickery our brain can perform? Please, just actually look at them. They are a selection of some of the most impressive optical illusions.

I Love Optical Illusions, But These Are SHOCKING. I Will Never Trust My Brain Again...

@MITsound

"Never had a satisfying answer about 6 ' of cord fixing miles of problems"

me neither! or the millions of non gold plated connections that the electricity passes through.

I could sort of understand an appeal in knowing that everything is of the highest quality possible, even if it makes no audible difference. Just as an excercise to know you have really massively over engineerd something.

I don't have the cash to think about things like that, so I just concentrate on what matters the most and spend my hard earnd pittance there :)

if the equipment is so susceptible to mains noise its probably time to go back to the drawing board.
As to mains leads, how are they going to change anything, its a filter you need not a cable.

Did i say no filter , academic really , additionally power cables make a difference....

Did you watch the video I posted? :)

No not yet .....

I dont understand how the last 50cm of mains cable makes a difference when it has traveled down miles and miles to get to that last part?

That's something jneutron (who has an excellent grasp of EM theory and a low BS tolerance) has talked about in a theoretical sense. As a practical matter affecting audibility, well... let's just say that the assertion-to-data ratio is pretty close to divergent.

Just about to put an lp on, must ask every householder in our road to un plug everything. Perhaps I should ask the whole town, county ......

Status
Not open for further replies.