Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reviewing previous posts show who's moving posts. Like most here I'm fully aware of the ideal way to make these connections. That however has little to do with the reality of modern assembly which leaves solder as the primary electrical connection.

by using examples and phrasing that makes it sound like I was arguing that point... just as you are now ...

nobody said current wont flow through solder, that would make it a pretty poor choice of material for the job.. but given the choice for it to flow through a more direct connection, albeit just with as small amount of solder possible that has wicked through while pressing the parts together; i'll go with that. relying totally on the solder to make the connection is not ideal and should be avoided where you can.

making solder joints where you rely on flux and too much solder to do the job where proper contact and a small amount will do, is lazy and all too common.

Last edited:
In a properly constructed joint the connection should be manual with the metal components mating cleanly against each other. If you rely purely upon the solder you are not doing it correctly.

As soon as you apply solder + flux it will flow through cappillary effect between the two metal components, which is good. Otherwise, you would have a very weak connection from a purely mechanical point of view.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
For a while, ML bent the leads of higher current level carrying components and soldered them parallel to the board traces.
(standard was also cutting the leads before soldering, not other way round)

jacco, did they cut the leads first so as not to introduce any strains on the joint after the soldering? Any real benefit of doing it that way?

In a properly constructed joint the connection should be manual with the metal components mating cleanly against each other. If you rely purely upon the solder you are not doing it correctly.

That is very out of date, even if it were ever true.

I remember "in the good old days" when large components (all there was!) were strung between turret lugs on paxolin board. A full turn of wire twist around the lug was the standard, so that the cct could almost work without soldering!

With through-hole components, they are (were) normally pressed against the pcb and the leads sheared off to about 1mm before wave soldering. No way was there any deliberate mechanical contact between device lead and pth. If there was, we field engineers cursed because we could not easily get the component out and replaced with just a solder sucker.

by using examples and phrasing that makes it sound like I was arguing that point... just as you are now ......

No, nice try.

I've just read a thread on "Which solder is best". What utter bulls**t, the solder doesn't even make the connection in a properly constructed project.

What does then?

wow, really?

a proper solder joint is made by first creating good contact between the 2 metal terminals, pin on pad, or wire in soldercup etc. the solder should only serve to keep/reinforce the direct connection.

My phrasing is fine.

that way?

That, and completely covering the lead end plus solder pad, minimal length of exposed interaction zone.
Just google for pcb bottom pics of earlier ML gear.

After the solder job, I clean boards to get the solder flux off, then cover them with an acrylic coating.
For which I use an airbrush paint spray gun & compressor, and paper stickers for last assembly stage solder tabs.
(at the least, I feel no need to change my name to something that floats on Sanskrit. Though I do appear to be popular for the scientology mailing list on occasion)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
He-he, that was fun! I made a ridiculous statement just to show how silly it is. Leaving off the winky ;) was the best part.
At least it got ya'll thinking and talking about solder joints. Solder does make a difference to me. The better it melts and flows, the better I like it.

Oh yeah, SMD don't have metal to metal contact, do they? Always a film of solder there, right?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've tried so many goofy things (green CD pen, Armor All, cable, special connectors, special solder, etc etc etc).

I cringe/cry when I think of all the $$$ spent on 'critical tweaks' only to know now that I could have spent the money on some really good parts out there that are now unobtainium.

After I joined the forum, I picked up some highly recommended transistors and other parts that are also now unobtainium. phew!

In the end, the improvements gained from reading various books out there (Cordell, Self, etc.) and input from some members has improved the sound of my equipment far more than any system tweak I had tried.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
He-he, that was fun! I made a ridiculous statement just to show how silly it is. Leaving off the winky ;) was the best part.
At least it got ya'll thinking and talking about solder joints. Solder does make a difference to me. The better it melts and flows, the better I like it.

Oh yeah, SMD don't have metal to metal contact, do they? Always a film of solder there, right?

Pano, when I worked as buyer for a company that built small run of devices using mainly smd, we talked about ensuring good solder fillets on all the components. Lack of a fillet and you could grab a lead with a tweezer and easily remove it from the pad on the pcb.

One aspect of the Shunyata methodology intrigues me:

Method and product for reducing distortion in an audio or home theater cable
US 6545213 B1
Abstract

A method and product for reducing distortion in an audio cable includes a flexible outer conduit and at least one electrical conductor (i.e. wire) disposed in the conduit along its longitudinal length. A granular or beaded ferro-electric substance is disposed in the conduit along its longitudinal length. The electrical conductor is surrounded by (i.e., immersed in) the ferro-electric substance along its length and extends from each end of the cable and may include whatever termination is desired to connect the electrical conductor to a component part of an audio or home theater system. A seal is provided at each end of the audio cable to retain the ferro-electric substance. Preferred ferro-electric substances include generally spherically shaped beads of silica gel or rochelle salts of combinations thereof.

According to this, it is advantageous to surround a conductor, or more than one conductor, in ferroelectric beads e.g. Rochelle salt within the cable sleeving. Looking at Wikipedia we see that such substances generate a voltage when flexed or vice versa, and when used as a dielectric, form a capacitor with hysteresis, which can even be used as a memory. I have never heard of such a thing being used in a cable. Can anyone explain how and why it works?

Ferroelectricity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The patent then goes on to say:
Experimentation has proven the efficacy of the methods and apparatus herein described even though the exact mechanism that produces the benefit is not known. It is believed that the ferro-electric substance 26 cooperates with the generated electromagnetic field that is produced in response to a flow of current through any of the first, second, and third wires 25 a, 25 b, 25 c in some manner so as to dampen the waveform by reducing noise and distortion.

It is believed that absent this damping a spurious signal is generated that distorts the original waveform that is intended to supply signal and power to a speaker (not shown) or any other audio component. It is further speculated that because each type of the ferro-electric substance 26 to one degree or another is capable of the piezo-electric effect, that is to say it changes its shape when an electrical voltage is applied, that this phenomenon is related to its efficacy in purifying the audio signal. Perhaps the electromagnetic field induces a voltage internal to the ferro-electric substance 26 which then causes the ferro-electric substance 26 to physically deform converting electromagnetic energy into mechanical motion and, ultimately, into heat.

Fascinating!

Status
Not open for further replies.