Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows 8 is now much much more than an OS. I can not in good conscience recommend it to my DAW people. We are entering the era of tangiblity, where things that are in our direct control are going to be worth far more than they ever were. Hang on to your old tech my freinds we are in for a shock a ride and an awakening. As I once my ex wife "yeah they are real. If you can touch them they are real". Starting about now... Caveat emptor.

I like to call it evidence and facts and you got that last bit right :p
The scientific journals have had articles filled with evidence supporting certain theories, ever since they were first published. And guess what happened to a very high percentage of those theories - they were dumped when better, more comprehensive theories which explained phenomena with a greater coverage of all aspects evolved.

'Evidence' merely supports an idea at the time - never 'proves' it ...

The nice thing about cars is there are no Slybee devices for them being promoted by the honest engineers that design the motors.

I worked in the industry and yes most designers know their stuff, pity about what happens to most of their designs when the bean counters take over. Some designers did have dubious motives though and still do, like the practice of placing coil packs on top of the cylinder head allowing excessive heat to travel from the plugs to the pack causing it fail when the car is around 5 years old and out of warranty. Vauxhall (GM UK) do this deliberately so they can sell loads of expensive coil packs. It is actually getting worse as manufacturers cut build costs to better compete, fitting cheaper electronics, sensors and switch gear etc. Many of the latest models here have been proven to be less reliable than their predecessors. I believe John means well and I could give you worse examples than the one he did.

It is actually getting worse as manufacturers cut build costs to better compete, fitting cheaper electronics, sensors and switch gear etc.
I was taken aback when I jiggled the battery terminal connector on a recent full size Ford model, for a friend who had electrical problems ... talk about sh!t metal!! Almost zero chance of tightening the clamp to a decent tension - did the best I could, and sent her off with crossed fingers and a prayer ...

Sadly that kind of practice is now common but if you challenge the manufacturers, you get the sort of excuses that if used on here by anyone, they would be rightly roasted for. Weight saving is one excuse for the use of inferior parts, they actually risk their reputations over saving a few cents. The thing which annoys me the most is that they are making the poorer people who cant afford a brand new car every few years, bear the brunt of their cost cutting. Breakdown and recovery is a good place for a shark to invest now because of this.

The scientific journals have had articles filled with evidence supporting certain theories, ever since they were first published. And guess what happened to a very high percentage of those theories - they were dumped when better, more comprehensive theories which explained phenomena with a greater coverage of all aspects evolved.

'Evidence' merely supports an idea at the time - never 'proves' it ...

and your subjective hogwash has ZERO proof what so ever so please don't try to present it as factual at all.

I was taken aback when I jiggled the battery terminal connector on a recent full size Ford model, for a friend who had electrical problems ... talk about sh!t metal!! Almost zero chance of tightening the clamp to a decent tension - did the best I could, and sent her off with crossed fingers and a prayer ...
I own two Fords, one year 2000 and the other a 2007. I'm guessing that mine have the same sort of connector that's made out of a little bit of sheet metal. Not very confidence-inspiring! I thought that the whole purpose for using lead for battery posts and what goes onto them was to prevent electrolysis, bad connections and ultimately the car not starting! But at least here in the US we have CAFE rules, and cutting a few grams per car "really does help". At least I can still buy aftermarket cables with lead connectors.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The thing which annoys me the most is that they are making the poorer people who cant afford a brand new car every few years, bear the brunt of their cost cutting. Breakdown and recovery is a good place for a shark to invest now because of this.

This confuses me. Are you suggesting if they only didn't do cost cutting and make the cars more expensive, the poor people would be able to afford them??

Jan

No, I am suggesting that they often save the customer a few dollars/pounds whatever on the cost of a NEW car often at the expense of the customer who has no choice but to run an older car because of financial restraints. Some cost cutting measures could even be said to be dangerous in certain situations. Would you like me to tell you about the risks involved in cutting costs in say brakes for example. This is an obvious example which has already happened.

and your subjective hogwash has ZERO proof what so ever so please don't try to present it as factual at all.
It's factual for me - and to other people who listen to the result. And for a couple of other people who have allowed themselves to be guided by my ideas. Remember, other people have had similar results, using variations of these ideas ... and have mentioned such in posts in diyAudio, and elsewhere.

I've mentioned many times the methods I use - it's easy enough for others to try something similar, and describe experiences which 'refute' what I'm saying.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, I am suggesting that they often save the customer a few dollars/pounds whatever on the cost of a NEW car often at the expense of the customer who has no choice but to run an older car because of financial restraints. Some cost cutting measures could even be said to be dangerous in certain situations. Would you like me to tell you about the risks involved in cutting costs in say brakes for example. This is an obvious example which has already happened.

Your 'obvious example' is just so much folklore. Modern cars are more reliable, safer and cheaper than ever before in terms of fraction of income.
If you think about the cost of recall, no manufacturer dares to cut on reliability or safety because it can cost billions.
Some brands now offer 7 year warranty on engines!
Road handling as a passive safety measure for example is now better in the lower cost bracket than it was in the luxury class 20 years ago.

Jan

Smart people have no need to promote worthless products. They will do just fine without that and keep their rep good.)-:
I worked in the industry and yes most designers know their stuff, pity about what happens to most of their designs when the bean counters take over. Some designers did have dubious motives though and still do, like the practice of placing coil packs on top of the cylinder head allowing excessive heat to travel from the plugs to the pack causing it fail when the car is around 5 years old and out of warranty. Vauxhall (GM UK) do this deliberately so they can sell loads of expensive coil packs. It is actually getting worse as manufacturers cut build costs to better compete, fitting cheaper electronics, sensors and switch gear etc. Many of the latest models here have been proven to be less reliable than their predecessors. I believe John means well and I could give you worse examples than the one he did.

Your 'obvious example' is just so much folklore. Modern cars are more reliable, safer and cheaper than ever before in terms of fraction of income.
If you think about the cost of recall, no manufacturer dares to cut on reliability or safety because it can cost billions.
Some brands now offer 7 year warranty on engines!
Road handling as a passive safety measure for example is now better in the lower cost bracket than it was in the luxury class 20 years ago.

Jan

You have not read what I have posted have you? I did work in this industry so it is of some interest to me still. I hate repeating myself, look up the reliability figures for recent UK models compared to the ones they replaced, there has been plenty of articles in our motoring press recently about this issue. Or are you suggesting that I somehow made this up, what on earth would I gain from that? Toyota could have continued to import their brake parts from Japan, but they chose to source the parts for US built cars, in the US. This saved them a lot of money but unfortunately it did not help their reputation when brake failures led to accidents and subsequent court actions. Advances have very obviously been made and if you buy say a Lexus or a BMW, chances are it will do a huge mileage with no real problem. Mind you even the latest BMW's have proven to be LESS reliable than the models they replaced. It is not ancient bangers I am talking about here. A number of cars from the mid 2000's have been found to be more reliable than their replacements by several motoring organisations recently. This has been attributed to cost cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.