Fullrange, are you guys kidding yourselves?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These kind of threads are like a two-sided sword.

They suck because they get a lot of good people upset, get people banned, or get good people threatening to leave the forum...

However, they are also great because a lot, and I mean A LOT of excellent information gets dumped into them from various intelligent members so for people who want to learn (like me) can run through and absorb all the information we can!

And to the OP of this thread... Ahh... nevermind. I don't want to waste my time.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sam9 said:
B- Are backhorn (and similar) designs really XO-less. You have two apertures (LF and HF) which are not concentric and must therefore generate vertical lobes. After reading explanations of how these work I can't say I closely follow the principle. However, it seems clear enough that getting a smooth response from the two apertures requires managing phase relationships at least as troublesome as you have trying to XO a two driver system.

The air cavity between the back of the driver & the horn proper creates a situation where the output of the horn is low pass filtered. In a well done horn, the back wave output is delayed from the front by (2n-1)/2 wavelengths at the Fo of that low pass. n=1,2,3...

Some people are very sensitive to this (serenechaos & his SO) and some aren't.

dave

im confused i know quit little as apposed to most of you, but on a full-range speaker how can it handle the range of frequencies with power, like bass speakers are made to take a heavy sound-wave the baseline and tweeters well they take the lighter wave but move so fast its invisible to the eye basically, but if you put a bass on a tweeter outlet and a tweeter on a bass the tweeter would blow and the bass would overheat in time. i cant begin to imagine what would happen if you had a 500w rms full-range speaker :S

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
In another thread I said that my woofers doesnt move much even when playing pretty loud so I didnt grasp why people wanted those huge Xmax...and I was told that I doesnt play loud enough :hot: well, I dont know, how much is 50watt at full blast into 89db speakers...pretty loud it is

planet10 said:

To quote Earl Geddes, quoting me (intentionaly or not), "crossovers are evil"

Sometimes a little evil is alright -- just keep it way out of the midband.

dave

yer crossovers are terribly evil in that way but once i moved to crossovers ive never looked back, got some rather high end warfdale floorstandings on crossovers and they are super XD

I don't hear much difference between conventional multi-way speakers and fullrange like a Jordan or a Fostex, except that fullrange systems are lacking in the frequency extremes.

The Fostex 167E that I am using can sound shouty w/o some passive components to tune it, which kind of defeats the advantage of not having passive components in the way. Maybe a phase plug would help, but its still got other woes and by the end, I ended up using a crossover for it anyway (much better). I guess I'm too used to having top-end air and detail of ribbon tweeters to go without a tweeter. Even a 3" fullrange is lacking in the top-end extension that I crave for. I also hate the slow bass of transmission lines.

The Seas Exotic does interest me though, but too expensive.

kristleifur said:

And therein lies part of the reason for the scarcity of commercial single-driver speakers: Unquantifiability.

When buying speakers, it's a vast space of options you're entering. Anyone, me included, will grab at any reasonably comparable number that will help in avoiding buyer's remorse.

Unquantified qualities are hard to trust, and hard to buy.

Why do you assume that commercial single-driver speakers are scarce? Here in America 80% of the speakers used here are single-driver systems. Almost all the computer speakers are single-driver systems, as well as BOSE, etc.

Single-driver systems vastly outnumber multi-way systems. I agree that in the high-end realm, though, it's almost exclusively multi-way. Even Zu Audio uses tweeters and woofer units in their speakers, so they cannot be considered fullrange.

That'd fall into the wideband driver category. Actually, many of us use the 'full-range' drivers in this way.

Personally, I don't use any kind of supertweeter with the Supravox bicone sigs. With digital room correction I get an almost flat response between 60Hz and 15KHz. I added a subwoofer in, and now the sysytem is near flat between 25Hz and 15Khz.

The highs are beyond the limits of what my ears can hear.

Secondly, in my system the Supravox drivers run off their own DAC. I have a second DAC tapped to the I2S stream to feed the subwoofer. The result is a fairly unadulterated signal line apart from the digital room correction to even out the anomolies.

If I lived closer to the OP I'd have no issue letting him have a listen. Although, any kind of non-justified obnoxious condescending behaviour would rapidly find itself introduced to my baseball bat.

later
Raja

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
planet10 said:

To quote Earl Geddes, quoting me (intentionaly or not), "crossovers are evil"

Earl still believe he has created one of the best speakers in this world, if not the best...with the use of crossovers, so I really dont see the point in saying such, actually they should be considered a blessing making it possible, and you may say that about almost every thing in this world, whether its done right or wrong

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.