Full-range question to Fostex experts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
off topic...but still addressed to teh fostex experts/

i am looking at a 3-4" fullrange and the fostex 103 and 108N are 2 i am considering along with the Jordan 92 and TB 930 and 657.

has anyone had any experience with the Fostex (or other) 4" fullrange drivers.

my intention is to use 2 or more these fullranges till about 5kHz and then roll them of at 6db to a tweeter (yet undecided). Since the fullrange will covering a major portion of the spectrum (100Hz to 5kHz) I want to choose them first and then look at suitable tweeters.

i expect to see cancellation/interference above 3k (330m/s / .1m). given that i prefer a laid back sound this is not bad. by the time this effect is more pronounced (5-6k) the tweeter will be in operation.

Hi Navin,

I recommend you cross to a super tweeter at 10khz or higher, this let's you take full advantage of the full range effect by not splitting the part of the audible spectrum we are most sensetive to.
I don't even recommend you cross to a tweeter at all if using one of the smaller drivers, although the frequency plots don't look that great on paper, the top end is smooth and well extended.
After you choose a driver build a test box and listen to it naked while it's breaking in, then decide if a tweeter is needed.

Browse the full range forum for answers, all this is well documented there.

Navin-

I just built a pair of Solo 103's with a set of FE103's as the single driver.

They are, obviously, not bass-heavy, but I am enjoying them so much I am looking at building other 103-based enclosures, most likely Buschorn Mk2's.

The 103's have wonderful imaging, and the speakers really do disappear.

GnD

Illusus said:
Hi Navin,

I recommend you cross to a super tweeter at 10khz or higher, this let's you take full advantage of the full range effect by not splitting the part of the audible spectrum we are most sensetive to.
I don't even recommend you cross to a tweeter at all if using one of the smaller drivers, although the frequency plots don't look that great on paper, the top end is smooth and well extended.
After you choose a driver build a test box and listen to it naked while it's breaking in, then decide if a tweeter is needed.

Browse the full range forum for answers, all this is well documented there.

I second this post thoroughly (I own fe166e horns).

you will not lack for treble, .. though the treble from a full range may not sizzle like the treble from multi-way speakers.

add super / sub augumentation drivers if you wish but try to let the full range drivers alone in the critical octaves.

GrahamnDodder said:
Navin-
I just built a pair of Solo 103's with a set of FE103's as the single driver....The 103's have wonderful imaging, and the speakers really do disappear.

The 103 solo is what got me thinking in the first place. However I need a bit more SPL capability than a single 103 will provide. to do that there were 2 options.

1. use a bigger fullrange (6-8") but my application needed a wide soundstage and beaming of a larger fullrange might make the sweet spot quite small.

2. use multiple 4" fullranges. however multiple drivers (unlike the solo) operating over the same freq. can lead to interfereence above the freq at which the wavelength is smaler than the c-c distance of the drivers. that means if i were to use 2 100mm (4") fullranges there would be interference above 3300Hz (assuming speed of soundis 330 m/s). This interference would reduce the level of the sound. hence above this a tweeter would be nessacary. I was hoping to get away by using a tweeter above 5k and maybe let there be a slight dip in the response bet 3k and 6k.

Since a tweeter would be used anyway and the fullrange is not going to be used above 5k. Hence I started considering fullranges that have better bass (at the expense of better top end) like the Fostex FW108N.

Please remember that this design is in concpet stage. I have not ordered any parts (I live in India and the hassels of importing nessiciate me being very sure of the design before ordereig anything).

I am open to any/all suggestions/alternate suggestions.

the design parameters are simple

1. Very high WAF
2. preferable wall mounted like B&W VM1 and FPS
3. internal volume 12 liters (24"H x 6"W x 5"D).
4. SPL of 95db at 2 meters at 100Hz+
5. the speaker will be used either with a plasma or projecter as part of a HT/AV systems as well as for music.
6. Cost per speaker (drivers only) under $150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.