full range driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys, i am looking for the very best sounding and most neutral 3"-5" full range out there. this is for one of my cars, doesn't have to play low, 300hz and up is fine, want a smooth upper end speaker, will be mated with a nice 7-9" mid bass/woofer. something that plays pretty loud and images, will be installed in custom pillars

thanks for opinions and advice. i heard a lowther dx55 years a go and loved it, thoughts

Interesting post.

You want the most neutral (flat FR?) driver but you refer to the lowther dx55 as a reference, which is really not neutral.... Confused....

Well, if you really are after the most neutral flat FR out of the box, then the TC9/TG9 are very good and don't cost much (cue for Dave to mention he doesn't like them), then the 10F /8424 and the Visaton B80.

After that, it's more open... Faital has some very efficient drivers, and a small BSC would tackle the rising response.

Yes, even the MA drivers could be pretty flat with some circuitry work or EQ.

Unless you are still after the lowther sound....

I use the Faital 3" neo magnet ones in my car. They need a little bit of thinned elmers glue on the dustcap to stiffen it up I also applies it to the backside of the cone from the voice coil to slightly beyond where the dustcap joined, then some thinned modpodge on the rest of the cone. Then top it off with the EnABL treatment. One step firther would be purring a felt ring behind the back of the cone, but not touching. You will be rewarded with a very detailed and dynamic midtweeter

Indeed, unless stored in temperature controlled garage, and all drivers protected from UV / heat when driven on sunny days, I think you’ll find the environment in which auto, or even more so marine / outdoor rated background music systems operate to be far more extreme than the domestic situations for which the normal suspects of full range makes/models likely to be suggested were ever intended. If you do decide on something from that cohort, be prepared to stock up on spares. Of course if your moniker is representative of the vehicle(s) likely to be found in your stables, cost of spares / repairs won’t be any kind of surprise.

Perhaps these, before the tweaks? FaitalPRO 3FE22 3" Neodymium Professional Full-Range Woofer 4 Ohm
Yeah, the 91dB sensitivity, 20W power handling (AES rating at 2 hr test) and substantial Xdamage (gotta love that - you can do this ONCE, may even) suggest these or even the 4” might be a good candidate. Decades ago, I installed a pair of small Vifas - likely predecessor to the TC9FD - in the front dash of Volvo station wagon, and while they never got cranked far enough to test their limits, they sounded just fine, and certainly lasted longer than the stock oval papercone unit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.