Full range driver or coaxial for spherical speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone! I am about to build my first set of speakers and they will be spherical with about 3 liter enclosure volume and a passive radiator on the back. The intent is use them as desktop speakers. The problem with the design is that it is hard to fit more than one driver so I have been looking at full range single drivers or 2-way coaxials. I have found very mixed infomation about both driver types and was wondering what would work best in this case. The drivers I have been looking at are Tang Band W4-1337SD, Dayton CX120-8 and SB Acoustics SB12PFCR25-4-COAX. Does anyone have experience with either of these or a similar driver that you can recommend? The price would be about the same for these options when a crossover is added for the coaxials. All help is greatly appriciated!

Links to drivers:
Tang Band: Buying a Tang Band W4-1337SD woofer? | SoundImports - SoundImports
Dayton: Buying a Dayton Audio CX120-8 woofer? | SoundImports - SoundImports (I read that this one has QC issues but I don't know if they have been resolved in later batches)
SB Acoustics: SB12PFCR25-4-COAX | Speakers Intertechnik - Shop - Shop

Thanks for the reply! I would indeed like to use a larger driver but it wont fit on my desk that way.. might add a sub in the future but acording to WinISD i could get f3 down to about 75-90 Hz depending on the driver so it should be fine-ish for most music. I wish I could tell you I was going to use some fancy woodworking method to make the enclosure but sadly I live in a small apartment so I can't fit nice tools. The plan is to glue two ikea wooden bowls (20cm diameter) together (after sanding the rims down to be flat) and sawing of a peice of the bottom of each one to fit the driver and radiator. I realize the enclosure wont be optimal but will hopefully sound decent with proper dampening.

Yes that is what I plan on using, but I have not found a lot details regarding sound quality of those projects. Some have used the tang band driver I was concidering but a lot of people seem to think a single full range driver only sounds good for mid centric music withiut much dynamic range. Don’t know how such small/cheap coaxials would compre either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.