Full range buzzing sound. Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While exploring through old speaker boxes I have bought at flea markets, I came on a nice pair of 5" Philips. I opened one cabinet, nice driver, no problem. I have to open the second one, but already, it has a "buzz" sound as soon as any music is played, even at very low volume... As a rule, can it be "dismantled" and be fixed by some tweak, or does it mean it's over?

I thought I could use try them in my next project (Zigmahornets) along side with the Fostex Fe103 and see wich I prefer.

I'll get the driver out of the box tonite and put pics here.

Have a good week folks.

On the bright side, it could just be a duff connection, or something that's worked its way loose. Fingers crossed that it's not the voice coil or something of the ilk; if it is, they're probably scrap. I remember hearing a Motional Feedback driver a few years ago which did this -turned out a dry solder joint was causing the problem. Not what one would expect, but there you have it.

buzzing sound..

Hi Scott,

I'm about to open the faulty speaker box in a short while... Following your suggestion, I keep my finger crossed ;)

But about speculating: what can cause a buzzing sound in a driver? loose connection? loose solder joint, off center rubbing voice coil?

I tell myself that since the voice coil doesn't seem "fried" (since it still work) I suppose that anything else could be fixed, no?

I guess recentering the voice coil on an el cheapo Philips driver must be something..

staple?

I had a similiar prob last week, turned out the buzzing was a staple being held to the spider by the magnet, once i'd removed that, I was rewarded with some pretty good sound (phew).
These are elliptical Sonys out of an old tape recorder, I'm trying them OB, pics next week.
I hope you have similar luck, but in my experience buzzing in an old driver usually means a distorted v/c...:-(

If you've got nothing to lose, perhaps the vc could be pulled slightly to one side by tape on the spider to remove the buzzing?

Pete McK

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by Sylver300B
I came on a nice pair of 5" Philips

Noresco boxes or Philips?

Those are a nice driver that doesn't get the respect it should...

you need to get them out the box before you can diagnose. Hopefully not the voice coil. If it is i might have a mate for it.

philips5FRa.jpg

http://p10hifi.net/planet10/vintage-driver-gallery/philips/

dave

booohhhhh

Tadam!!

I opened the Pandora, ooops, Norelco (Philips) box... and ok, before I tell you more, let me just tell you that I bought 4 of these boxes at a flea market. I like the size and finish of these little Philips speakers, perfect for a room, an office, or the workshop, and they match my Telefunken receiver, wich I use in my room.. but two boxes have cloth grills, two boxes have plastic perforated grills...

So, the drivers in the cloth grills boxes look like the pic Planet put on the forum, but with a cloth suspension... and the faulty driver has a rubbing voice coil. When I use a small battery (1.5v) the cone will move forward a little, but won't move at all, when I reverse polarity. On the other driver, the cone moves freely.

When I try to move the cone with my fingers (gently, I know..) it rubs, as if there was sand in the gap...

What can be done? I see how I can get the suspension unglued, probably by using acetone.. but then, there is so little space, I don't see how I could have access to the spider, and getting it unglued, and then reinstall it... phewww... Any suggestion?

I don't have much to loose, so, I still can try to do something, but other than that, I find it sad, since it would have made a nice pair for a Swan project, or just to compare with my vintage Fe 103.

Time to run to work. More tonite, and I'll put pics. Promised..

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: booohhhhh

the faulty driver has a rubbing voice coil... When I try to move the cone with my fingers (gently, I know..) it rubs, as if there was sand in the gap...

Voice coil is likely bubbled ... even if you get it out, you'd have to rewind the VC. If you are really lucky, it might be grunge in the VC (how it got there is another question), so if you pull the dust cap you can try cleaning it out.

There will be a long number on the back of the magnet that specifies the exact model.

dave

sandy beach.. oops, driver..

Hi Planet,

Well, I have nothing to loose.. Either I throw it in the garbage can, or I attempt doing something..

So, removing the dustcap might be a solution.

One more question. As I told you, I have 4 of these drivers. Two with the cloth(and tar covered?) surround, (one of them being the faulty driver) and two with the.. well, see the pic..

Other than the suspensions, the drivers look the same to me. Am I right?

I think the stiffer suspension must be more adequate for a TQWT, no? or a back loaded horn (Swan)? am I right?

Thanks

Attachments

• philips full range r3.jpg
    philips full range r3.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 495
under the dustcap..

Hi Planet,

Just removed the dustcap and.. look what I found? loose wires from the voice coil.

And pulling the cone outward a bit, shows that it's as if the voice coil and it support have broken, half way to the cone, and a the unattached part of the coil remained stuck within the gap..

Since it still emit sounds.. I imagine the wire is still in one part, unbroken, but I can't see how this could be repaired..

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: sandy beach.. oops, driver..

One more question. As I told you, I have 4 of these drivers. Two with the cloth(and tar covered?) surround, (one of them being the faulty driver) and two with the.. well, see the pic..

Both look like they have treated half-roll surrounds. One looks a tad narrower. These also came with accordian surrounds.

What are the numbers on the back?

dave

Hi Planet,

Curiously, the numbers at the top are identical: 2422 257 35102

Then, the driver with half roll suspension has AD 5?60 M8 and 2569AH, while the driver with accordeon suspension has no "AD" number, but has as well, 867 AH number.

Same cone and whizzer cone, same basket, and magnet.

I try to include the pics of the suspensions and the problematic voice coil.

I'll try to remove it, with delicacy, but I doubt I can make a decent repair.

Do you think these two drivers share the same kind of sound?

Attachments

• philvoicec.jpg
    philvoicec.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 259
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Hi Planet,

Curiously, the numbers at the top are identical: 2422 257 35102

If the numbers are the same, they should be the same model....

Then, the driver with half roll suspension has AD 5?60 M8 and 2569AH, while the driver with accordeon suspension has no "AD" number, but has as well, 867 AH number.

One made in 1968, the other in 1967

dave

twins are not all alike..

Hi Planet,¸

Well, funny. Two drivers of same model, but not same year, and not same suspensions..

In fact, the model with accordeon textile with tar on it, was in a box that was "vented" at the back, by a small slot at the bottom of the cover, while the other driver with half roll suspension was in a sealed box. Same size of box, exactly.

Looks like Philips made a lot of drivers variations on same theme..

A little bit like using left overs, to cook different meals all week long.. ;)

I'll make an "attempt" at voice coil surgery, and then, probably some funerals for this gone friend :hot:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.