Full Range Boombox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It could be useful...The more the merrier : the actual Fc point might be too high;
you can play a little with driver's efficiency and you can start using the coil only and after also the capacitor
OR
just direct drive from amp's output, which brings no losses.

So do you have any experience/insight with this amp? Does the sub-out have a built in filter?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, the built in XO on those boards are generally bad and next to useless. It's a high value like 400Hz in some cases so using a dedicated passive low pass is maybe a good idea.

I see your point about being the showcase. In that case show it off. Flat is very cool. There are some flat Tectonics BMR that sound great. It would give you matching looks.

OK, $500 on clearance then :) I admire the "ply plywood" (glued togther woods) method. Years ago I saw a project for a big speaker that deliberately used different scraps and result was a crazy quilt varied wood product that looked unique. I guess it "wood" work for any furniture type project. Yep just use Google Images and enter "glued scrap wood" and a universe of possibilities pop up :)

My favourite part is the ply edges + rounded corners. I was thinking of how to steal that bit, without being as wasteful of the ply.

This seems like it would work: cut discs out of ply sheets that you intend to use as shelf braces, quarter those discs, stack them up, build the front + side panels onto these - see pic.

Attachments

• corners.jpg
    corners.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 169
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.