• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Very RARE (limited) PCM63P-K2 and PCM63P-Y

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
spencer said:
One of the possiblity is that the chips are re-marked from PCM63P or PK chips. Since those P chips are never sorted and thus some of them (depending on the yield of the wafer and assembly process) will actually a very good chip without being sorted out by the process. Some of the K chip may be just grade as K but actually the perfromance of it may be even better.

Remember the grading is just check the minimum performance of a chip.

Remember the intel CPU story of clock speed and later they has to lock up the ratio so that user cannot overclock it!

One more point is that there is no demand on P chips today and thus there is not much selling in the market. The question is that where are those Ps go to and there should be hell lots of them in the second hand market! I don't seems to see them very often!

Excellent analysis!

Re: Indeed

irgendjemand said:

If I am not wrong, Bernhard wrote once something challanging about it: If it is FAKE but still sounds good, why not using it?

Did I ?

If I still had a PCM63 DAC or player, I could offer to test different types.

But you could do it yourself.
All you need is a sound card, freeware program, preamp and CD.

I could believe in fake stamps.
But not in fake chips.
A 20 bit DAC is not a transistor, right ? ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.