• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Restored ADCOM GFA-535 II - $450

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SOLD: Restored ADCOM GFA-535 II - $450

SOLD! Thanks everyone. I'll have more amps soon.

For Sale: ADCOM GFA-535 II fully modded | Hoppe's Brain

Hi Folks, I have another ADCOM GFA-535 II for sale! As with all the amps I sell, this unit has been completely torn down, rebuilt, refurbished, and obsessed over. This amp not only sounds better than new, but I intend it to last another 30 years or more! I go way beyond a simple re-cap. Any and all parts that may potentially deteriorate have been replaced, and I’ve paid a lot more attention to detail than the factory with things like wiring and matching components.

20160121_230018-e1453679196384.jpg

And this one has a little special something. A powder coated top cover! (I got a deal on getting a bunch of covers done.)

Isn’t it beautiful? And pretty much scratch-proof.

20160125_142115.jpg

20160125_142050.jpg

Features:

• All electrolytic caps replaced: Power supply filters upgraded to 4x 10,000uF Cornell Dubilier 380LX. Nichicon Fine-Gold audio-grade capacitors used in signal paths, and Panasonic FC in parallel with WIMA MKP (foil) for output stage local supply bypass.
  • Input capacitors changed to WIMA MKS4
  • Transistors in the critical input stage are replaced with a carefully matched pairs of Fairchild 2SK1845. This step is important to assure low DC offset at the output, and low distortion. The stock transistors are rarely well-matched, especially on later models.
  • Emitter resistors changed from 5% tolerance sand-cast types to DALE RS 1%. These are more reliable, and frankly, prettier.
  • Sealed Bournes trim-pot installed for precise bias adjustment and better reliability.
  • High-current bridge rectifiers are installed and heat-sinks attached. This helps prevents power supply droop while the amp is being run hard.
  • New power switch and spark-supression capacitor.
  • New surge-protection MOV
  • Circuit boards are cleaned and solder joints inspected and touched-up wherever needed.
  • Wire-wrap transformer connections removed and soldered permanently.
  • All wiring meticulously and obsessively neatened.
  • New 30A binding posts (Pomona 6883)
  • New power cable with strain relief and heavy-duty plug

The final steps are to torture-test, set bias and do listening tests. The amp is run into a dummy load, and power output readings near clipping are recorded. (Approximately 80WPC into 8 ohms.) The amp is driven hard for 30 minutes, allowing it to heat up, and it should show no signs of distress. It should cool itself down in a reasonable time, and the bias should remain steady throughout the temperature range.

I’ve been listening to this amp through my JBL 4208 near-field monitors for a couple of days now, and it sounds excellent as expected.

Cosmetics: The faceplate is nearly perfect, with just a few nicks on the edges, which have been touched up, and are barely noticible. The cover is absolutely perfect, as it has been freshly powder-coated. I would say it looks like new unless you really scrutinize it up close. Please click on the pictures to see it in hi-rez, and judge for yourself.

$450.

I stand behind what I sell, and my intention is that you have a great sounding amp that lasts a long, long time.

20160121_230107.jpg

Last edited:
@Infinia I can do that! In fact, I've done so already.

A fun project: Adcom GFA-535 SUPER-HIGH-CURRENT MONOBLOC | Hoppe's Brain

Basically, by dedicating each transformer to the entire positive and negative rails, the load is shared and you get a super high-current version of the 535. Utilizing all six output transistor spots boosts current handling. 207W into 2 ohms before clipping!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.