• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Pearl 2 Phono PCBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boards and TO-92 devices

Attachments

• EE515C2C-D8A5-4F74-8E3C-85666311A52C.jpg
    EE515C2C-D8A5-4F74-8E3C-85666311A52C.jpg
    1,014.5 KB · Views: 308
I expect mine in the next few days...

Package arrived a few minutes ago. The boards look good. Twelve TO-92 package devices were included, which are stamped "K170 BL 5A". I don't have a jfet jig to test the devices, and given their increasingly apocryphal origin, I'm inclined to source the fets elsewhere and call it a wash. If anyone tests these, I'd be interested in your results.

Cheers! ;)

I have a tracking number so should not be too long in coming.

The boards do indeed look very good. I have a JFET tester (PEAK electronics DCA 75 semiconductor analyser) - hopefully that will get some numbers that can be validated. If not then no problem, the PCB's alone are worth Exhales asking price.

The diyAudio store thinks the DCA doesn't have the juice to measure jfets, if I understand this correctly:

"Note: The DCA Peak Atlas Pro semiconductor tester will give inaccurate results for testing these JFETs as it cannot provide adequate current during the test. Please refer to the user manual for more information on its specifications. This is a great tool but should not be used for testing high current / high voltage devices. "

JFET matching information – diyAudio Store

I measured the IDSS of the devices the other day, using the method recommended in the diyAudio store link. The numbers I got are within spec for the k170BL, ranging from 10.12mA-11.52mA. Not enough data to declare them genuine, but it's not discouraging.

The IDSS match closely enough to create a couple sets of quads and two additional matched pair. The voltages I recorded were:

where 1V = 10mA

Fairly tight matching, the loosest group +/- 0.3mA as listed, with +/-0.17mA achievable. Not bad!

Last edited:
I am not aware of anyone that has tested the TO-92 devices to be authentic. If you read this thread, you'll see the provenance is questionable, at the least. Extremely doubtful that the boards or devices were sourced from PassDIY, IMO.

The diyAudio store sells equivalent jfet devices.

Best of luck!

Thanks Raoul.
Before I purchased I asked the seller and was told that they were originally bought from PassDIY.
On first inspection the Jfets do not look real to me at all (or at least not like the ones that came with the B1 that I got from PassDIY) but I have read posts about older 2sk170's that might look more like current fakes.....who knows? I will test them before using them, just wanted to confirm with the seller what they originally told me and to let anyone thinking of buying that this might be the case.

Do you have a curve tracer to test the TO-92s? I'd be very interested in your results.

The leads on the TO-92 devices I received look straight and unscuffed, and unlikely to have been placed in a test jig. They were unmarked with measurements and not grouped. The IDSS range I measured was too wide (over the 1mA Pass tolerance) to use the devices interchangeably. I feel comfortable in declaring these non-Pass devices without your subtlety, if that is your concern. :)

How does the thickness of the copper traces compare to your authentic B1 boards?

I don't have a tracer, just going to do what I think you did....9V IDSS test to see if they are even in the ballpark. I did a quick comparison with the authentic B1 board. It looks like the copper is much thicker on the B1 boards. Looking online, Exhale's Pearl boards are missing the manufacturers logo (which are on the B1). These boards might work just fine but I will have to double check them with the schematic before even thinking about stuffing.

I would think the Pass boards have 2oz copper. These Pearl boards are not that. The gerber files are available from PassDIY. Looks like >$10 worth of Chinese boards for $80+shipping. That said, I imagine the boards will work fine. If authentic jfets are purchased through diyAudio, the total cost is basically a wash vs the authentic boards. The red flags were there; can't win them all :)

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hmmm...we’ll, I grabbed a set after the “last pair” post.

When I originally inquired, the response to my question about whether the jfets were offered with the boards was a no as I said.

When I inquired this time, I was told the response was due to “frustration”.

Perhaps that was due to being scrutinized for offering $200 board/jfet sets for $88 shipped, who knows?

I just hope the circuit checks out on the boards at this point. I have plenty of genuine 2sk170bl in the 10-11ma range sorted into a bag that have no purpose if those will work.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes I would agree that based on your pictures of what you received Mazzer that the jfets are fakes.

It’s ultimately on us I suppose. I was skeptical to begin with because of the conflicting information that surfaced regarding what was offered in the sale.

It seemed like things were going in the right direction when Raoul and you posted pics that you received the packages as promised, so I went for the set still being offered.

As is always the case it seems...too good a thing is too good a thing.

It would be easier on us at this point if the seller would step up and explain the source of the boards and tell us at least if he had them made from Gerber files requested from PASS.

Status
Not open for further replies.