• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (natural cone)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Up for sale: I have eight pairs of brand-new-in-box Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 wideband drive units with the natural paper cone.

The CHP-70 Gen.2 was developed by Markaudio in conjunction with a number of Japanese jazz enthusiasts, who wanted a 4in wideband driver with a semi 'vintage tone' that captured some of the characteristics of classic wideband drivers, with a lightly shelved down top end and smooth / natural midrange tone.

Main CHP-70 Gen. 2 features:
-Usual Markaudio shallow-profile cone for consistent off-axis response
-Reinforced self-damping polymer basket
-Long-throw suspension with arrestor to avoid over-excursion
-Well balanced Fs, Qt, Vas to suit different types of load (works well in sealed, vented, horn & QW -two examples below: Pensil CHP with leather front baffle & Frugel-Horn Mk3 finished in ash veneer)
-Natural (parchment / cream colour) paper cone
-Supplied with factory gaskets and connecting hardware

I'm asking £30 per pair (less than half normal retail) plus shipping

Attachments

• chp-70 Gen.2 spec.jpg
    chp-70 Gen.2 spec.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 591
  • chp1.jpg
    chp1.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 579
  • chp2.jpg
    chp2.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 566
  • chp3.jpg
    chp3.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 564
  • chp4.jpg
    chp4.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 565
  • chp pensil.jpg
    chp pensil.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 159
  • CHP-70 FH3.JPG
    CHP-70 FH3.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
A brief note about packaging, as I was asked by PM how the drivers are sent.

All drivers are in the original Markaudio boxes. I use sustainable FSC rated outer cardboard boxes with heavy-duty packing tape. These are reinforced inside with recycled heavy-duty cardboard and packed with recycled brown / grey packing paper and high quality bubble-insulation.

3pr sold, only 5 pairs of these superb little natural-cone units left.

Here's an example of them used in a bookshelf sized enclosure. 6 litres to 65Hz gives a nice lightly damped response; 8 litres & 55Hz is good too. Not bad for a 4in cone. Semi-resistive venting gives additional options. Butterworth sealed is roughly 5 litres.

Currently listening to my own test pair playing Anouar Brahem's 1998 album Thimar (highly recommended)...

Attachments

• CHP slotvent bookshelf 01.jpg
    CHP slotvent bookshelf 01.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
I love Anouar Brahem just listening to "the love of Beirut" on Alpair 10p so looking forward to these little rolled off ones

arriving
3pr sold, only 5 pairs of these superb little natural-cone units left.

Here's an example of them used in a bookshelf sized enclosure. 6 litres to 65Hz gives a nice lightly damped response; 8 litres & 55Hz is good too. Not bad for a 4in cone. Semi-resistive venting gives additional options. Butterworth sealed is roughly 5 litres.

Currently listening to my own test pair playing Anouar Brahem's 1998 album Thimar (highly recommended)...

3pr remaining.

Advance notice:

I do have some of the rarer black-cone CHP-70 Gen.2s, and the even rarer beefed up CHBW-70s which I have not yet advertised (only so many hours in the day!). Like these natural cone-colour units, these are all brand-new-in-box. I'll check my available stock later today and start putting them up. More information including pricing to follow shortly.

Many thanks to everyone who has bought units so far or expressed an interest. :)

Likewise, James. You have PM. :)

I wouldn't knock the Faitals; they're nice little drivers within their design remit; somewhat different approach to the MA however.

I don't do subjective reviews as is generally known because of that word ('subjective'), but I'll go this far. The CHP is a nice little unit; the response of these Gen.2 models isn't all that much different to the original CHP but MA changed their graphing presentation between the models, hence some of the differences. The Gen.2 introduced a raft of upgrades over the original; new cone, central cap & fastening, new Japanese designed coil, new basket, new spider. Moving mass dropped by 12%, and they went for a tonal balance within the general frequency response that nodded toward some of the old Diatones, and even (to a point) the 755. Not the same, it can't be, they're different size drivers of completely different design, but inspired by. Came out of the Japanese distributor and a number of his clients; musicians & fans of jazz, small piece music, fond of small clubs etc. They wanted something they felt captured the balance & tonal quality of the instruments in such spaces; the CHP & its CHBW sister model were the result. Nice LF for a driver of its size, midband / telephone band is smooth, gentle lift in the lower treble and the lightly shelved down HF avoids too much energy in smaller spaces; good for on or slightly off-axis (and easy to partner with an HF unit).

OK, you want a hint of the kind of thing they were thinking? Try this for a smaller / inexpensive system & space.

Musical Fidelity v90 DAC with choice of source
DIYaudio ACA kits.
FH3 as the mains
Choice of wire -tin plated copper is often favoured in these situations; Supra Classic 1.6 is an inexpensive way of obtaining it.

No, not a vintage Altec 755A setup with 300b monoblocks and a Garrard 301 source. But it should make a lot of music for the money & leans in that direction. Call it a flavour of (what would now be) the big money system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.