• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: AKSA 55 (a must see!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I completed machining and assembly on one enclosure, never finished the second one. I have the material but unless you have access to a machine shop it's pretty hopeless.

The front panel is completed with the exception of the front knob recess.
I think there is a Q&D fix for this. All that is needed is a drill press and the right bit.

Your enlosure looks very nice except for the front panel so I wouldn't mess with that. You could probably fininsh it off with a perforated Al cover painted black.
Are the trafos so close to the low level circuitry giving you noise problems?

True, true. It helps to have a (soon to be) spouse that appreciates the gear as you do and also is OK with the fact that you will keep parts around the house (well maybe in just one part of the house) sometimes for "a while" (could be years) before they (if ever) get used.

IME, WAF doesn't only apply to completed gear.

mlloyd1
who has stories to tell :eek:

grataku said:
... the fact is the diyaudio bug has bit you, maybe tomorrow, maybe in ten years, you are going to regret selling the two plitron you might have used for this very cool new project ....

grataku said:
I completed machining and assembly on one enclosure, never finished the second one. I have the material but unless you have access to a machine shop it's pretty hopeless.

The front panel is completed with the exception of the front knob recess.
I think there is a Q&D fix for this. All that is needed is a drill press and the right bit.

Your enlosure looks very nice except for the front panel so I wouldn't mess with that. You could probably fininsh it off with a perforated Al cover painted black.
Are the trafos so close to the low level circuitry giving you noise problems?

No, these are toroids and their magnetic fields go through the center (up and down) and do not impose on the low level circuitry. The amp is silent with respect to noise, even at high volume.

I know someone that has a bridgeport machine that can drill metal. I wonder if it can be used to cut. How many cut out
front panels do you have? Were you planning on making
kit enclosures for the APOX and it fell through?
Your enclosure on the Apox thread looks good. So does
Peter Daniel's using that old stereo.

Vinnie R. said:

No, these are toroids and their magnetic fields go through the center (up and down) and do not impose on the low level circuitry. The amp is silent with respect to noise, even at high volume.

The magnetic field of the toroidal transformer dosen't go throught the center, but rather radiate circularly around them. Think of it as the transformer is contained in a bigger doughnuts reperesenting a magnetic field gradient.
It is a coil wrapped around itself. :)
Anyway,it's great that you don't get noise, all you have to work on is front panel

I know someone that has a bridgeport machine that can drill metal. I wonder if it can be used to cut. How many cut out front panels do you have? Were you planning on making
kit enclosures for the APOX and it fell through?
Your enclosure on the Apox thread looks good. So does
Peter Daniel's using that old stereo.

Is that a Bridgeport mill? If so you can pretty much do whatever you want.
The deal I had was to design and build two enclosure one for me and one for the guy that had access to machines but didn't know how to use them. A painful experience I am not going to repeat in the future. Fortunately, in the end I got mine done. It came out great and I am very happy with it. I haven't had time to finish the whole project, yet.

Just wanted to chime in about replacing the front panel...

What I'd do, personally, with that, is just get a small piece machined to sit on top of the LCD, covering the exposed circuit board and wiring. Your display doesn't necessarily have to be mounted flush with the front panel, after all. Just get a small piece made to tidy it up a bit and it'd be fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.