front horn designs - post your results / pics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a good link Round Wooden Front Horns
pav3D.gif

Have been eyeing at the Oris for a quite some time....
making horns in fiberglass is actually piece-of-cake, once you have suitable mold, but rumours have that fiberglass rings...
Any comments or ideas for damping.....???

Or any other ideas for materials than fiberglass or wood??

Take a look at the link I posted. You will find the answers there. The cardboard "mold" becomes part of the horn, providing additional damping. Check it out.

There are also damping produxts available at auto supply stores than can be appliad to the back of the horn.

AuroraB said:
Have been eyeing at the Oris for a quite some time....
making horns in fiberglass is actually piece-of-cake, once you have suitable mold, but rumours have that fiberglass rings...
Any comments or ideas for damping.....???

Or any other ideas for materials than fiberglass or wood??

Use this DIY hotwire / foam technique to make your own "suitable horn mold"...

http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/airframe03.shtml

My experience using styrofoam and polyester resin was not good. Yhe styrofoam dissolved.

I am in the process of making a mold to cast a 24" front horn from portland cement or plaster of Paris. This back burner project started more than two years ago. I have tested the back half of the mold which is solid glass reinforced poly resin and steel mesh as a horn speaker with one of the wide range drivers I use in my Ultor loudspeaker designs and it sounded magically sweet! I am on the right track.

I may offer to bang these out as a service to audiophile DIY'ers when I can finish the tooling.

Yes.... styro and polyester is generally a no-no combination...
Making a mold out of chicken netting and plaster is feasible..
I think "carpenter" ( or Jon Inlow ??) had a very good description on his web pages ( along with the DIY heatsinks), but the pages have gone, and he hasn't been on the forum for a couple of years, I think.........

MCH said:
Well you could cut rings out of 3/4' MDF and stack them (by glueing) to your rough shape. You then sand down to your final shape and desired thickness. MDF sands very well. For any imperfections or enhancements you could use bondo. I've made hive shaped speaker cabs this way.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13015

Nice designs!:bigeyes:

I've thought of doing essentially the same thing but with foam core (and then glassing it)

Here is my horn design, tractrix 150hz, loaded with fostex fe206 , sound wonderful, notice the mold I made, by cutting 1/2" square pieces with correct dimension, stack them up, screw them together, then put plaster over them till then smooth out, paint the plaster, put roofing paper down then start put down 3/4 " thick plywood boards, glue them together, when dry, pull it out, and voila a front horn. The mold is 25 " X25" at the mouth
4.25 " X 4.25" at the throat and is 22" long and weigh about 100 lbs. I am thinking of selling the mold. Since it is so heavy, I prefer pick up only. If no one is close enough to Cary,NC then I will consider shipping to US only and even then, I was thinking of removing some of piece from the throat until the throat area is enlarge to about 7.5" which is big enough for a 8" driver like the Fostex 206 and that should lighten it abit.

Attachments

• p9240092.jpg
    p9240092.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,323
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.