FRFR stage monitor for guitar modeling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A while ago, I bought two cheap full-range speakers (two different models), both with whizzer cones, to use with a low-power guitar amp design I'm working on.

Both speakers were designed for ceiling-mounted, low power, public address / background music sort of applications.

Right out of the box, one of the speakers was a huge disappointment. Incredibly thin cone, tiny magnet, ridiculously high fundamental resonance frequency. The other was much better made, bigger magnet, beefier cone, etc.

The really bad speaker turned out to produce a very interesting, almost vocal "shouting" quality to clean guitar sounds. Yes, the bass was non-existent, but it made for a very unusual and interesting lead guitar sound that suited some genres of music well. I'm guessing this one had strong, peaky resonances of the sort JMFahey is talking about.

The second speaker seems to have a wider, flatter response, and sounds more neutral. It is more flexible, and allows my guitar amp to produce a variety of different sounds. I use this one much more often. But this "good" speaker cannot do what the "bad" one does - it can't give my guitar that almost vocal quality!

Neither of these is really in the "FRFR" category the OP was looking for, though.

-Gnobuddy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.