Frequency Response Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The term physical theory denotes the semantic part of the model. Mathematical expressions are just meaningless marks on the paper that need to be interpreted.
Of course, you could create a theory from scratch by writing down a set of schematic postulates and premises, calling them the law of nature, but not being "backed up" with some "verifiable"mathematical gibberish, the scientific community would dismiss it as irresponsible speculation. So for that reason, it is much better to make up some mathematical objects with supplementary posits.

I'll have a bottle of what he's having, please ;-)

Jan

N101N said:
Numbers are good for counting objects in everyday life for which they were originally intended.
I think you meant to say that integers are good for counting things. There are lots of other numbers with other purposes, but integers are the ones to use for counting.

Again, a mathematical model for physical theories is not to be confused with an analytical approach utilizing techniques like Calculus of Variations, Algebraic Geometry, the Theory of Differential Equations of Infinite Order, the Concept of Function, Set Theory.
I'm curious. How many of these have you actually studied and understood? How much actual theoretical physics research have you done? Published peer-reviewed papers?

Mathematical expressions are just meaningless marks on the paper that need to be interpreted.
On the contrary, mathematical expressions are meaningful marks on paper which can be understood by those with the necessary training. To everyone else they may look like they are meaningless, because to them they are meaningless; this is not because of any lack of meaning of the marks on paper, but purely because of lack of understanding by the person viewing them.

I think you meant to say that integers are good for counting things. There are lots of other numbers with other purposes, but integers are the ones to use for counting.

I meant the unrestricted-unformalized-unaxiomatized arithmetic counting as the reliable and sensible mathematics possessing exactness, logical purity and conceptual clarity. These attributes vanish when the narrow logical boundaries of basic operations only including natural numbers are exceeded. The language of mathematics is an extremely primitive language, nevertheless, it is the language of logic as well as the language of science (ever since Descartes, Leibniz, Newton). I say poor science.

I'm curious. How many of these have you actually studied and understood? How much actual theoretical physics research have you done? Published peer-reviewed papers?

I think I have a fairly decent overview not to be misled easily. I have no problem accepting scientific theories and propositions (preferably kept free from distractive mathematics) as long as they are in line with my preconceptions, but I don`t give a damn for flippant expressions like scientific knowledge, scientifically proven, objectivity, proof, evidence, fact. I aim at understanding the material world in an ontological sense and it is impossible to do that in the mathematical framework.

What I am against is the logical method hammered out by unadulterated mathematicians like Euler, d`Alambert, Lagrange, Laplace, Fourier, Gauss, Poisson, Dirichlet, Weierstrass, Cantor, Cauchy, Riemann, Lebesgue, Hamilton, Hermite, Hilbert and others. A thorough exploration of the hardly penetrable paradoxical mess was first initiated by Frege and then exploded in the twentieth century generating a ton of literature with many unpalatable discoveries. Despite numerous significant exceptions, logic (founded by the very great Aristotle) is a German dominion dating back to Leibniz, Kant and Hegel.

On the contrary, mathematical expressions are meaningful marks on paper which can be understood by those with the necessary training. To everyone else they may look like they are meaningless, because to them they are meaningless; this is not because of any lack of meaning of the marks on paper, but purely because of lack of understanding by the person viewing them.

Constituting an undefined and uninterpreted system, mathematical expressions have no meaning, no context and no reference to anything external. The qualitative interpretation of the ambiguous syntactic structure occurs through indoctrinated conventionalism, associations outlined in vaguely formulated theorems and preposterous fantasy. The assignment of meaning is an entirely personal affair.

"Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things." - Henri Poincaré

“Mathematics may be defined as the subject where we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.” - Bertrand Russell

I am sure that the honorable participants of this thread will wholeheartedly agree with Poincaré and Russell (!?!)

N101N said:
I think I have a fairly decent overview not to be misled easily.
I take that to mean 'No, I have never studied or tried to understand any of those topics but I have read general woffle about them'.

I have no problem accepting scientific theories and propositions (preferably kept free from distractive mathematics) as long as they are in line with my preconceptions
OK, you are not a scientist and have no interest in science. If you were, you would have to accept things which contradict your preconceptions. That is what scientists do, although sometimes this takes a while.

I aim at understanding the material world in an ontological sense and it is impossible to do that in the mathematical framework.
I think you will find that thus far the mathematical framework is the only successful way of understanding the physical universe. Any alternative would have to fully include the results of maths, because maths is supremely successful - so much so that its success is itself a mystery to some.

I am puzzled why someone who rejects maths and physical science has audio as a hobby. Without these you are necessarily incapable of designing, debugging or characterising an electronic circuit. Maybe your hobby consists of hanging around audio websites and sharing with us your 'insights'?

I included stability indicators in the first post. I used the Tian method to evaluate them but realized I accidentally retained R1 & R2 in the path to ground instead of taking the gate of J1 straight to ground. With this corrected, stability indicators are:

Open loop gain: 63 dB
Closed loop gain: 26 dB
Unity loop gain frequency: 2.0 MHz
Phase margin: 73 degrees
Gain margin: 11 dB

ULGF looks high. Adding a 18pF cap as traditional miller compensation toes in the ULGF and smooths out the closed loop frequency response without relying on the RF input filter. Also added the Zobel output network. The results change to:

Open loop gain: 63 dB
Closed loop gain: 26 dB
Unity loop gain frequency: 1.0 MHz
Phase margin: 72 degrees
Gain margin: 15 dB

This is not Open Loop Gain, it's Loop Gain.

N101N said:
Mathematical Analysis provides no knowledge and no predictive information.
Such a false and foolish statement can only come from someone who has no understanding of mathematics and physics.

I have fatally failed to make my position clear, but never mind.
You have made it quite clear that you have no knowledge of science and no desire to obtain any knowledge of it. Did you intend saying something else instead?

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Why would I know "as an IT guy"? To the contrary, that specifically identifies that I have no formal electronics training. My background is in MIS and Accounting. I'm on this forum to try to educate myself.

In that respect, thank you. I misinterpreted the results of the Tian method Loop Gain analysis. I now see that the plot represents Loop Gain and not Open Loop Gain. I'll need to do some more reading on this to better understand how to use it.

I think the ongoing debate between N101N and other members should stop or move to another thread. It does not appear to be a constructive conversation and is distracting from the purpose of this thread.

This was a good example of CFA that I was beginning to understand. Too bad there's so many that live for semantics and pi$$ing contests. Seriously some of you guys ruin threads by entertaining this crap.

Not going to change or apologize my choice of words. Like three pages of asinine discourse and the thread is six pages WTH. Forums.

Last edited:
It is a given that on a public forum people will pop up and say daft things, things which might confuse or mislead a newbie. Would you prefer such contributions to be
1. censored i.e. deleted by the Mods
2. left unanswered, so creating confusion and perhaps giving the impression that everyone agrees
3. answered, with the risk of diverting the thread
You appear to object to '3', so which is your preferred option?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mathematical Analysis provides no knowledge and no predictive information.

So it was just sheer luck that the latest Mars Rover actually got exactly where we hoped it would?

And, on a lesser scale, when I calculate the current in a resistor and then measure it being just what I calculated, that was sheer luck and coincidence?

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It is a given that on a public forum people will pop up and say daft things, things which might confuse or mislead a newbie. Would you prefer such contributions to be
1. censored i.e. deleted by the Mods
2. left unanswered, so creating confusion and perhaps giving the impression that everyone agrees
3. answered, with the risk of diverting the thread
You appear to object to '3', so which is your preferred option?

Indeed. Don't forget that there's people here who are deliberately and knowingly spreading misinformation and false info, for fun, out of misplaced anger, whatever.

A reasonable intelligent person like N101N will immediately see the conflict between his opinions and the real world, so the only conclusion can be that he is deliberately misleading the audience.
Should we just let that go?

Jan

Indeed. Don't forget that there's people here who are deliberately and knowingly spreading misinformation and false info, for fun, out of misplaced anger, whatever.

A reasonable intelligent person like N101N will immediately see the conflict between his opinions and the real world, so the only conclusion can be that he is deliberately misleading the audience.
Should we just let that go?

Jan

Just stick to the topic already. Guys trying to get all Michio Kaku when there was a practical discussion about an amplifier. Why bother discussing anything but the amplifier? So many threads you have to wade through pages of this garbage. Enough already. Guy is a kook IMO pretty easy to see that so maybe back to the thread topic at some point? Or is everyone disproving nonsense more important?

Unfortunately in audio it is not easy for some to see nonsense when it is put in front of them. Far too many people actually believe and propagate nonsense; others merely propagate it for reasons known only to themselves. If nonsense was left unanswered then things would only get worse.

One of the things I like about this site is that if I say something daft I will be corrected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.