Free speaker enclosure (Newcastle Australia)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of floorstanding enclosures that are no longer required. These are quite large at 480 wide x 1050 high x 256 deep and are OB for the mid. The shape is based on the Infinity RSII series of the early 80's. The bass enclosure is 48 litres effective (Vb).

These were an attempt to beat my current mains and have had several major changes but never did beat them so the project has been aborted.

They are made from Tassie Oak veneered MDF and in the current form were using:
27TDFC
XG18WH00-08
P21WO-39-08
SP21R or vented using the passive radiator hole.

They are available for pickup only at Newcastle NSW Australia and will hang onto them until the next bulk waste collection. No drivers or crossovers.... enclosure only with attached damping.

Attachments

• seafa64ffront.jpg
    seafa64ffront.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 308
In an attempt to reduce the backwave from the mid from the bass woofer so it didn't interfere with the OB mids, acoustic treatment has been carried out on the back panel as well as acoustic tiles on the sides.

Attachments

• seafa64ainside.jpg
    seafa64ainside.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 250
By the look of it, there is no reason that it sounds bad. Unless your main speakers sound at reference level.

Good luck finding a home for them. I have already got my cabinets built or I would take them.

I would pad more stuff at the back than what is shown in the picture.

HiFiNutNut said:
By the look of it, there is no reason that it sounds bad. Unless your main speakers sound at reference level.

Good luck finding a home for them. I have already got my cabinets built or I would take them.

I would pad more stuff at the back than what is shown in the picture.

They sounded extemely good but never reached the heights I was after to out do the mains. Maybe a bit too smooth and polite for my tastes. The XG18WH is a great driver and is going into duty in a stand mounter box I have here. The 27TDFC will be used in that as well and a great tweeter.

The back of the mid does have a layer of damping material but was removed for the picture.

critofur said:
That'd be a shame to throw them away!

How was their sound deficient, and do you have a thread for your current "mains"? (how do these compare?)

The sound was all there but just a personal taste thing. A tad smooth and polite for me and the bass didn't compare to an M22WR.

Here's some info on my existing mains but the latest xo has R1=1R5, Cz=5.6uF and the inductor comes after the woofer.
http://www.darcheraudio.com.au/rzaudio/rz52/rzss_files/rzss.htm

Andy Graddon said:

Yeah, his mains ain't too shabby :D

Assuming he is still using those Scan OB things with the Vifa bass :cool:

Rabbitz.. what is the problem with this new speaker btw? those drivers should work nicely together.

The mains are still the same thingies but the xo has gone back more to when you first heard them (I got side tracked for a while so forget about the last time you heard them).

These started out using left over drivers I had... 27TDFC, P11WH, 22W8851 plus bought some SP21R PR from Madisound. This arrangement had the mid in a sealed enclosure using a parallel xo. The 22W8851 is an odd woofer and got the flick.... not worth the money and the M22WR kills it. The PL11MH went in with a P21WO but the mid enclosure backwave was a problem so OB it went. That then made the enclosure too small for the P21WO so cut and shut again to get the bass volume up. The parallel xo was removed and a series implemented which was heaps better and removed edginess from the PL11MH. 4" is really too small for OB so I grabbed some XG18's (great driver) and it started to come together. Removing the PR and going vented made it better again. So I got as much as I could out of it.... extremely good but not excellent.

Andy, as you know I have particular tastes as I like forward mids and don't mind a bit of slam in the bottom end. That's the problem as these new ones were too polite and lacked the tighter bass that the M22WR supplies. Sounded great and a soundstage to die for. When lazyfly was here over easter, he preferred these speakers when it had the PL11 as mids, PR for bass to all the speakers he heard at your and my place. It's all about personal taste.

If there are no takers then these will become an experiment for full OB using a 12"-15" bass driver. I have some 850122 that I can use for mids and I can pick up some tweeters.... got me thinking now.... hmmmmm ;)

When I listen to the mains, I want excitement as at my age, I need all I can get. ;)

I have intimate and laid back in other systems for those gentle moments.

He was looking also at what would fit in with his room, system, tastes as well as he has a problem in 1 ear which he doesn't want to aggrevate, so smooth is good in those circumstances.

Whoa !! Another central coast guy !! cool !!!

Yep, we exist - centrally located just far enough from everything to be annoying!

Well, I'd blame my lack of DIY speakers on that, but it would be a bit of misdirection compared to the fact that I'm a typical broke student with no skills in woodworking - unless I happen across a design for some speakers that can be built for less than $50 a side, I doubt I'll be building any for several years yet. (incase anyone reading is thinking "hey, I think I can help there", I'm basically thinking about some 5ish inch OB's with locally available drivers).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.