• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Frank (Radio Union) Hi.Fi. sy stereo tuner

I have a Frank Hi.Fi. by (Stereo?) tuner manufactured in Belgium around 1961. I am looking for service data on realignment. There is no information plate on the unit, the only info is on the front panel.
frank.JPG
001s.jpg
002s.jpg

Here is the only info I have on the manufacturer:
Mr Maurice Frank was engineer from Telefunken Brussels before the war, after the war he started up his own company "Radio Union" mid 50s he started with HiFi amplifiers and tuners.

The problem is, when tuning into stations you can get the left or right channel tuned in clearly, but not both. I am guessing that some form of realignment is required, but to do this I assume would require some data to work from. I live in Cornwall UK, (long shot) does anyone know someone in the area that does this kind of work?

Any help would be appreciated

Chris
I also have the matching amplifier. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ts-ultra-linear-stereo-tube-amplifier.368539/
Amp.jpg

Last edited:
Chris are you sure this is a stereo tuner? I believe it was not before the mid-60-ies that stereo tuners became available in Europe.

Jan
It has separate left and right RCA sockets on the rear, so I assumed it was stereo. Also it has level adjustment for each channel. As I cant get both tuned in clearly, I cant tell if the left and right have different content. The channel output level adjustment is quite strange the right channel level is fixed and you adjust the volume control until the left channel matches the right channel level.

Chris are you sure this is a stereo tuner? I believe it was not before the mid-60-ies that stereo tuners became available in Europe.

Jan
Looks like you are right. 1) I can't find anything that looks like a decoder. 2) Look at the image, both RCA sockets are supplied from a common source.
stereo?.png

But that makes me wonder why I can get left or right tuned in OK but not both?

Jan
I just opened it up again, that photo of the RCA wiring is taken from a deceptive angle, they have separate feeds. Also the FM tuner has two separate sections, and I think the decoder is in the metal box under the FM tuner. I am not able to verify the decoder as the box is sealed shut.
tuner-1.jpeg
tuner-2.jpeg
tuner-3.jpeg

Jan
I have since discovered that the two RCA sockets are Mono to connect to an amplifier, and Multiplex for connection to a decoder circuit, which I am now in the process of fitting, also a PS recap.

Reactions: 1 user