FR125s in open baffles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I´ve been away for a while, but here they are:

Attachments

• cssbaf2.jpg
    cssbaf2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 534
And the back:

After less than two hours burn-in time they already impress me, these drivers are obviously much better suited for OB than the Fostex drivers!
I will experiment with separate bass cabinets and passive crossovers, but I don´t feel any rush since these speakers have a much better bass response than expected.

Attachments

• cssbafbak.jpg
    cssbafbak.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 514
Couldn´t afford a pair of extra CSS drivers for now, so I dug up my Peerless 5,25" drivers instead. Fairly similar T/S parameters, and the extra cone area is very welcome.
First listening was done with only 7mH (4,5 + 2,5) in series with the Peerless drivers and it sounded quite horrible, very "boomy".
220uF+2,2uF in series with the fullranges took care of that, now the speakers sound pretty good.
Please note that the crossover and wiring is *very* temporay!

Attachments

• baffilter.jpg
    baffilter.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 311
Changed the crossover components today, now it is 4,5mH and 90uF for an XO frequency of about 280Hz. There are still some problems around 100Hz which seem to be some fundamental resonance in my listening room, every dipole I have tried has peaked at the same frequency...
Moving the speakers around helps a bit but not much, there is also a dip at around 55Hz that is more or less independent of which (dipole)speakers I use.
Being a bass player myself it is very disturbing when low G and G# are missing in the bass lines in every song and a couple of notes about an otave up are enhanced...

Regular "boxed" speakers seem to work better in my room in the lower frequency range, so the solution might be to add a cavity behind each woofer to control the radiation pattern. Closed or aperiodic boxes seems like the most attractive choices, I´ve never had much luck with BR speakers.

Well, those open baffles started to get on my nerves so I decided to try the CSS drivers in closed 15L boxes instead. The results was way above my expectations! Unlike the OBs these sounded equally good on any kind of music, which is kind of important for someone like me who´s taste covers almost anything from vocal jazz to grindcore.

The test boxes were built in an evening were not nearly "dead" enough for my taste, so yesterday I went and cut some MDF for a new pair. 22mm thick this time, 44mm for the baffles and a lot of bracing.

Attachments

• nylada.jpg
    nylada.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 222
Fuling,

I have a non-audio question. At the bottom of your post you have a statement:

"Like you we once were, like us you shall be."

I was wondering if this is from one of the epitaphs from the Roman memorial stones alongside the Appian Way.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Terry:

Well, I´ve never heard of the Roman Memorial stones or the Appian Way. I heard it in a song, but there it was "Like you I once was, like me you shall be" then I read something similar somewhere and translated that back to english.

By the way, now I remember what song it was: "Incorporeal" by Tiger Army.

Best regards,
Daniel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.