• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

FR125 How connect it to get more SPL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi i purchased 5 FR125 drivers some years ago for HT. Now i want a little more power and more SPL so was thinking abt make some new cabinet with 2 drivers on each one and use a bigger amp. is that possible ? how recommend me to connect the fr125s? wich enclosure?

Thanks

Of course - there are a number of bi-pole designs to be found below, of which I've built several.
Frugal-phile | Box Library / CSS

One caution to note is that under certain circumstances, the FR and WR125s could exhibit some unfortunate sonic behaviour - we at first attributed it to low damping factor SET amps with which we were flirting at the time, but also noticed the same with chip amps, and narrowed it down to that when driven very hard in under-damped vented enclosures the suspension's compliance didn't quite control the voice coil former from hitting the back plate on the return stroke.

I can never remember this being a problem in any of the sealed or aperiodic enclosures, such as the original mini-onken, or the little 4 litre wedge

Thanks. Will check the designs! Some todo recommendme?

chrisb;465343[LIST=1 said:
[/LIST]7]Of course - there are a number of bi-pole designs to be found below, of which I've built several.
http://frugal-phile.com/boxes-CSS.html

One caution to note is that under certain circumstances, the FR and WR125s could exhibit some unfortunate sonic behaviour. We at first attributed it to low damping factor SET amps with which we were flirting at the time, but also noticed the same with chip amps, and narrowed it down to that when driven very hard in under-damped vented enclosures the suspension's compliance didn't quite control the voice coil former from hitting the back plate on the return stroke.

I can never remember this being a problem in any of the sealed or aperiodic enclosures, such as the original mini-onken, or the little 4 litre wedge

You might want to take a look a the Castle Microtower configuration - page 2 and 4 of this plan set, I think.
http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/microTower-maps-020615.pdf

I've built 3 pairs of this format so far - 2 with the top panel angled forward at 10dg, and quite like them.

If the room is small enough that the system wouldn't be driven to the extremes likely to cause the issues I described above, they might work very well with appropriately revised vent tuning / damping.

Dave - any thoughts?

Did we ever build a pair of those? I can certainly remember a little wedgie monopole with a series of small holes in the slanted backside, of which the the location photo escapes me.

I also got to thinking about a derivation on this one as well - as I recall they worked quite well:

BP-BP-sideFR.jpg

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/Bipolar-bipoles.gif

25 litre sealed - it probably wouldn't take much to tilt the top to a 10dg forward slant - I know I sound like a broken record on that, but I've lived with a couple of pairs of them now, and really like both the aesthetic and sonic performance vs the standard front to back bipole.

Quickie sketch attached - the CSA has been been modified for a square footprint - also just a personal fetish with this type of design. Not shown is internal lateral bracing, the scheme for which can be as simple as a few thick dowels, or as elaborate as you like - guess which I tend to use.

Attachments

• FR125 castle.pdf
    35.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
ok will build some of these design maybe 25 degree (coz will be easy to use an router bit for that) what abt tweeter, i have small ones, that purchased with the FR125 i remember that was cheap ones plastic ones. and have 5 x AurumCantus G2Si.

is possible to add any of these additional tweeters without made an expensive xover?

this URL http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83025.msg801347#msg801347 show some similar design. and some guy say about add an small cap to the 2nd driver, what think abt that? Best Sounding Single Drivers

well, will start the box this weekend, i will use two of FR125s + one tweeter.
Abt tweeter think that will use the cheapest ApexJr ones (have AurumaCantus G2Si but think that are too much for the FR125S, right?)

will place both drivers in front of the box, external dimensions will be something like 310mm x 138mm x 950mm, this will be something like 26l are of for a sealed box, right?

well next week will be in USA, hope i can purchase some additional FR125S, and xover parts for the 2way design (or 3 way) im very lost now :D

was thinking about purchase full finished speakers like polk monitor 70 that are in very good price, but very hard to ship it via airline to Argentina :/

was thinking purchase another drivers and build a new center, front channels using my G2Si but looks waste of money too.

so mayebe will purchase xover parts (i think that bob dont answer my email and i write it two months ago) + more FR125 so can use pair in fronts and center and others in my surrounds

Think that will be a nice choice, right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.