FR125 & Extremis crossover ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FR125 & Extremis crossover ?

Hi There,
I'm very new to this DIY speaker thing, but have recently just put together a pair of FR125s in a sealed enclosure based on all the excellent information that I have found on this forum, and I have to say - I have been completely stunned by these things. Its bad because they are overshadowing my main speakers that I spent a lot more on and trumping some speakers that I have recently listened to like fairly expensive Quad bookshelves speakers and they haven't even been broken in yet.

They have got me thinking that I might like to make them my mains with a bit more LF extension and a bit of a bigger sound. As far as HF and mids they are detailed, stunning and very revealing - (insert host of audiophile terms). I was thinking, based on the reviews of the extremis that it would be an ideal mate for the FR125s, and from other posts it seem that the ideal X-over point would be approximately 300 HZ. I suppose it would be similar to the RAW HTFR but the cabinets would be separated and would like to place the extremis in a basic sealed/aperiodic cabinet roughly 9 litres. that the fr125s would sit upon similar to the design posted by planet10, but not necessarily floor standing.

I was wondering if anybody has constructed a X-over for this arrangement yet? This would be my first X-over and was thinking that a simple 1st order butterworth. Using a X-over calculator it seems that a 4.7mH capacitor and a 75 uF would do the trick...but since I am totally ignorant on this stuff, I really have no clue.

Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated...

Best Regards,
Matt

extremis and plate amp...

Hi Cal,

Thanks again for the advice - I was thinking of doing that to set up a 2.1 system. you're right about the money and metal issue - the second order would make for some serious expenditure for all the caps and coils. a bit too rich for my blood right now, anyways...the 1st order is , well, obviously, half the price, which makes it a bit more attractive. but reading on the 2nd order LR X-over it seems that's what more studio speakers do for a seamless transition. I'm not sure if I want to have a mono LF though, since I would like the Extremis to broaden the sound as well as extend it...although they are sounding great as it is.

hmmm...will need to think more about that. I wonder if RAW would sell their x-over parts for the HTFR a bit cheaper than buying them all separately. What else have people done?

thanks again,
Matt

My 2 bits on this............
If you want a simple 1st order passive crossover, I would try to aim for a crossover point of about ~300Hz or so. I like Cal's idea of a plate amp and would go that way............."if"........you can get one that can be low passed at around 300Hz. The reason that I'd cross over at 300 or so is that I feel that a 1st order Hi-Pass should be at least 2 octaves above the FR125's Fs, and more is better still. This cleans things up substancially for the FR125 in the midrange, the cap is (or should be) cheaper and allows for more powerhandling. The Extremis will certainly give you all the bass you probably need and actually is a pretty nice sounding unit in it's own right. You might as well use as much of it as possible.

IMHO, the FR125 is be a great driver, but actually can have problems on an OB if the damping isn't sufficient, as with many tube amps (especially SETs). SS amps have better control of the bass on these, but you want all that to be done by the Extremis anyway, so why not take full advantage of your driver compliment?
These are just some thought to consider, but you "need" to have a hi-pass crossover on that FR125.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Terry, thanks for piping up.

I have a question for Terry the master. If he uses a regular plate amp and runs it right up, so around 120 hz or so and uses a 2nd order on the Fr's somewhere around there, do you think we are going to be wasting the Extremis? Or making too much use of the Fr's? Will the Fr's run out of steam?

Just wondering. As always, we will bow to the master. Please master speak.

How's the flooding in your area? Oops off topic.

Cal Weldon said:
Terry, thanks for piping up.

I have a question for Terry the master. If he uses a regular plate amp and runs it right up, so around 120 hz or so and uses a 2nd order on the Fr's somewhere around there, do you think we are going to be wasting the Extremis? Or making too much use of the Fr's? Will the Fr's run out of steam?

Just wondering. As always, we will bow to the master. Please master speak.

How's the flooding in your area? Oops off topic.

Hi Cal,
Well, our community has been cut off from the outside world for a couple of days now, but I should be able to go to work tomorrow as the river's down about 16 feet from what it was. They said it's the worst flood in 45 years.

The "Master" is it? I know you're just trying to trick me! I'm certain that you, as an administrator, know that it's wrong to bait the master in public.
:smash:

Seriously, a 2nd order crossover certainly would allow you to use the FR125 lower. If a sealed cabinet is to be used, it's possible to reduce the volume of the enclosure to effect an acoustic rolloff to aid the crossover, say 2nd order electrical/ 3rd order acoustic. Some of the cabinet design freeware (Boxplot?) will give you a pretty good idea of the internal volume vs. rolloff of the cabinet as well as power handling.

The Extremis will work fine as subwoofer though it's a little spendy. There are, however, several relatively inexpensive sub drivers out there. A couple of Apex Jr. 8 inch (I think they're 8") sub drivers per side (4 total) would cost $140 and you'd still have money left over for an amp or two. If you stick with the Extremis woofers, you could always reuse them in another speaker, say a three-way later on.
I'd be tempted to go the chea...........er, uh....value route first, I think that it should yield a viable solution with outstanding sound.

Waddayasay Cal?

Best Regards,
TerryO

Apex jr subs

Dave D has a push/push bipole using a pair of these "value-mart" priced drivers which certainly works quite well indeed.

Steve at Apex Jr also has some excellent plate amps for cheap - I particularly like the Audiophile with remote volume & crossover control.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As you know i am pursuing this idea. We have a couple plate amps arriving tomorrow (it was a bit of a struggle to find ones physically small enuff to fit on the back of the box) and the Extremis are sitting waiting. This may have to get swapped a bit as we have 2 sorta similar extremis projects on the go (+ the push-push extremis sub), the FonkenWoof (which also goes under the miniOnken) and the StealthWoofer (no i'm not saying anything about that one).

With active amplification i'm aiming for a 80-100 Hz XO so that the aperiodic roll-off can be aufmented with a single cap on the amp to get 3rd-4th order roll-off. We will also try passive. Because of the size of the components involved this would need to be in the 250-350 Hz range. I'm going to try series 1st order, and choosing a point closest to the bottom of the saddle in the impedance curves makes sense to me.

In the HTFR, Al ended up closer to 400 Hz i believe.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PS. The ApexJr is a really good budget driver. Spec wise it doesn't seem to go all that low, but aperiodically loaded and sitting in the corner it can rattle the windows and doesn't seem to be too hard put to do the really low stuff on the movie DVDs. I'm driving it will a vintage Aurex 2x50W amp which gets its 0.1 feed right ff my Technics processer.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
pblossom said:
prototype bipolar Fr125-WR125 gems that Dave or Planet10 built.

Paul,

Did you get the shipping damage on these sorted out?

It is also to be noted that so far all of our extremis designs are based on Paul's woofer.

dave

Attachments

• blossom-sub.jpg
    blossom-sub.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 171
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.