Fostex supertweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for a supertweetr to go on top of Goodmans 201 fullrangers on an OB.
Any recomendations will be gratefully received, I'm thinking in terms of the Fostex Ft17h horn, or FT7RP ribbon?
They are both sensitive and will cross high enough. I had a speaker with a Visaton ribbon in it several years ago which I liked so I'm leaning more towards the ribbon but I don't really know.

Kev

Still haven't try ribbon but it will be much better if you use Fostex FT96H with Goodmans. 201 is an excellent driver and it deserves very good supertweeter at least, if not excellent. FT17 isn't bad at all, but it's not very good either. FT96H is very good and I think it will match Goodmans 201 well.

Bartek

I must admit, it's time that I gave my Goodmans 201's something better than the budget tweeters that I currently use!

I was thinking of finding something smallish that could be mounted in front of the 201's coaxial style! :att'n:

Several people (including Zaph ) have said very good things about the Vifa D26NC55 and that is small enough (to go in front of the 201's) too! ;)

That Vifa isn't available in the UK as far as I can find out, may be able to get it from Europe though.

On another matter did you try a Behringer digital EQ or crossover? I've got a large suckout at around 80Hzish and am considering something, but as I'm analogue straright through with a passive TVC I'm unconvinced.

Kev

On another matter did you try a Behringer digital EQ or crossover? I've got a large suckout at around 80Hzish and am considering something, but as I'm analogue straright through with a passive TVC I'm unconvinced.

I don't have a problem at 80 Hz according to my rather basic measuring system (RS digital sound level meter) and ears.

I'm waiting for those Behringer's to drop in price a bit before I try one! ;)

As regards the Vifa D26NC55, I guessed it may be another order to Europe job. :(

Nuuk said:

I don't have a problem at 80 Hz according to my rather basic measuring system (RS digital sound level meter) and ears. :(

No it's definitely my room, I've moved furniture and spaekers to minimize but it's still very noticeable :xeye:

Nuuk said:
I'm waiting for those Behringer's to drop in price a bit before I try one! ;) :(

£157 seems to me as if it's a pretty decent buy IMO ;) Could well be tempted :D

Kev

Hi Kevin

I had the same dillema as you- what tweeter to use with my Goodmans 201s. I am currently awaiting a apir of Aurum Cantum GS2i tweeters that I got in the group buy, and I think they should be an excellent match. :) At what frequency were you planning to cross over to the tweeter? I was thinking of setting the XO point to 12kHz.

BTW, what size are your baffles, and are you using subs? I am currently torn between fixing my Tannoy dual-concentrics (DU386 drivers that need new surrounds) and building a pair of speakers around the 201s. :xeye: The problem is in the bass- I am a bass nut and I do not want to stress the old drivers too much with pipe organ music, so a pair of subs will have to be used, but what drivers do you use for them??? :confused: This has gotten me thinking a lot lately. That and my mad idea of loading the Tannoys into some modified GRF horns. :D Ah well, such is the pleasure of this crazy hobby. :)

Enjoy,
Deon

BTW, what size are your baffles, and are you using subs? I am currently torn between fixing my Tannoy dual-concentrics (DU386 drivers that need new surrounds) and building a pair of speakers around the 201s. The problem is in the bass- I am a bass nut and I do not want to stress the old drivers too much with pipe organ music, so a pair of subs will have to be used, but what drivers do you use for them???

I'm not sure if you were asking Kevin or both of us Leon but details of my 201 OB's are here

Note that since I have added 'subs' I have removed the glass wings and currently use smaller MDF ones making the baffle width 52 cm (20.5 inches). Details of the subs can be found here

The baffles and subs together sound really great and there is no shortage of bass! . ;)

Hi Deon
I'm really pi55ed that I missed the Cantus GB, so the search goes on for a supertweeter. Guess I'll start to cross at about 10Khz and play around from there.

I'm currently using a small baffle (WAF :bawling: ) 1100x370mm with passive eq in the preamp. I'm considering how best to build and integrate subs at the moment. I only have a small listening room :( and need to be carefull with WAF and sound balance. I'm considering using a Behringer DCX2496 to cross and equalise to a Peerless 10" sub mounted on the baffle. If this doesn't work I can try a sealed box or 2 subs per channel in a dipole arrangement. I'll make a decision when I get out my cheque book :xeye: No way do I have room for TL or horn subs so I'll play with small subs.

Pleased to hear from another 201 user, good aren't they :D

Kev

Hi Kevin

I'm really pi55ed that I missed the Cantus GB, so the search goes on for a supertweeter.
PartsExpress currently sell them at $84.99 each ($79.99 each if you take 4 or more), so have alook at that for an idea. The link to that page is: Aurum Cantus G2Si ribbon tweeters @ Parts Express.

With a baffle of 370mm wide you could easily add a pair of 12" drivers below the 201s in an H-baffle OB bass configuration ala Linkwitz Orion. The problem comes in choosing which drivers to use as the Goodmans are very efficient. Not an easy choice. :confused: Maybe the Ascedant Audio 12" drivers will work. They have a low Fs and reasonable efficiency, so they might be the best match, but I am taking a guess here.

Anyway, good luck with those and your hunt for a suitable tweeter.

Enjoy,
Deon

Just a quick few Qs about your subs, please. I see you use Seas 8" drivers. Will this design work with other drivers? Maybe larger drivers (like 12" drivers)?

I can't see why not providing that they have the correct parameters for use in TL's. The drivers that I use started off in TL cabinets so I was confident that they would work in my TL sub boxes. I would think that 10 inch drivers in a slightly longer transmission line would be awesome!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.