Fostex driver suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://s1.postimg.org/eolsmb85r/IMG_0507.jpg

http://s10.postimg.org/93z364cfd/IMG_0509.jpg

Far left corner recomanded bass reflex for fostex ff225wk. on the stands open back enclosure with ff225wk + ft17h, zigmahornet with fe103en, TQWT with fe103S + w3- 871s(dipole), on the desk bass reflex with 125wk, under the desk Mikro-horn for fe103en.
They all have their own personality. "WK" series are more neutral but softer on the mids and that makes it more friendly with music. "Fe" series have a colorful timbre making them sound more livelier to music.
I’ve tested several types of enclosures for fe103en including BLH (back loaded horn) and TQWT and Zigma have a very good performance on the midrange, amazing imaging and the instruments and voices are very natural and almost lifelike.

Jealous! Another lifetime ago I had about 7 or 8 prototypes out all at once. Your photos remind me of this BUT, wow!; your stuff looks great! Nice job! What do you think of the humble FT17H? I am using one in my office system crossed over very high and am really happy with it. Some people don't like them but I suspect they are trying to cross too low. Have you heard the much higher priced Fostex bullet/horn super tweeters? What is your evaluation as compared to the 17? Thanks.

Thank you, kind words...I haven't heard higher priced Fostex bullet/horn super tweeters, way too expensive for me and anyway I wouldn't pair an 150-300$/pair of full range drivers with 400-1200$/pair of tweeters.
Speaker components should always be from the same price range..that is my philosophy.
About the FT17H, very good tweeter in general and not just for the price/performance ratio.
I tried different setups ...first oder from 13,5 kHz then from 10 kHz and second order from below 10k
When cut from 13,5 kHz sounds better, very spacious and does not intrude too much. Below 10k the sound gets thinner as you feel the need to compensate with more bass..and tends to get more directional as well.
It tends to get directional when located in a baffle or small box no matter where you cut the frequency...so I used it outside the box not just for the looks.

Ok, thanks! I totally agree with the price range concept; I do the same thing! I have my FT17H with a very customized X/O, 2nd order (NOT BE, BW, LR, etc). It is only down about 3 dB at 15KHz, about 95 dB, (for my 60 year old hearing loss) but matches up with my small mid-woofer about 3700Hz or so (about 85 dB). I think it sounds best if crossed 8KHz or higher.

It's becoming a sickness……

PA020007_2.jpg

DaveCan - were those in the BIBs, I guess you've upgraded since then?

Hey Chris, Yes the same one's as were in the BIB's, and no didn't upgrade actually downgraded some.. The way my listening room is now I can't really use the BIBs and I haven't gotten around to trying a different enclosure for the 108's. Since 2012 I have been listening to some older Polk Audio bookshelf speakers I already had before atop the MJK Goldwood H-Frames.. I figured after reading this thread I'd offer em up if the OP wanted to try them as he mentioned 108's etc..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.