Fosi ZA3 initial subjective limited impressions vs ACA

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Just unpacked it today. Very nicely packaged. Put it beside my ACA on top of my Emotiva PT2 preamp. Hooked up and turned on without drama or effort. You must press and hold in the orange volume knob until the led lights.

I like the sound, it is robust and to the point. Somewhat smeared or "veiled " compared to the ACA. ACA is cleaner.
Going to be a challenge comparing very good to excellent....

i am listening to files I downloaded from Spotify to my phone and bt'd to the E PT2. With midfi Audio Technica ear buds those files sound splendid right out of the phone.

The long and short of it is that the Za3 is never going to take the place of the ACA in my current system. I will need to monkey with the Fosi more to sum it up.

It certainly seems a great value and perfect for a mobile audio set up, electrified campsites and garages and the likes.
20240206_152652.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The Za3 is an integrated amp and I am pushing it with the Emotiva. I have a Schiit modi dac that I think I can run direct from my phone to the Za3......
"Wildcat blues" just finishing up live from MSG way back. Oh, and here are the Meat Puppets up on the Sun.....

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Streaming from my phone through the modi dac the Za3 sounds good. Still not as crisp and succinct as the ACA but pleasing none the less. The signal from the phone through the dac must be a bit weaker than a typical line level one because it takes a good turn of the volume knob to get the speakers blooming.

I have heard enough now to say that the Za3 is not in the same league as the ACA. But it is amazingly good for the modest price and would be fine on the desk top, dorm room or garage. I will probably gift it to a niece or nephew or one of my kids along with the Over night Sensations that I had been using before dusting off the Hestias and building the ACA.

The YouTube influencers who crow about this little guy replacing amps that cost thousands are pretty much full of it imho.
20240207_070547.jpg

Reactions: 1 user