Forum search inefficient

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

Whenever I use the forum search feature, I get plenty of thread results, but many of these threads have several tens or hundreds of pages, I don't have the time to look through all of them to find what the search found.

Is there a way to display the thread pages that the search terms were found on, rather than just seeing the thread and having to look through an indefinite number of pages to find it?

Thanks,
- keantoken

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I may be wrong, but seems to me like the search machine is selective with whether you use small letters or capital letters

and it sometimes seem to only search inside a specific forum

if you go to a specific forum section theres a function search this forum
seems to me like it gives better search results

Also, go to advanced search and then under keywords: "search thread titles only" Works like a charm.

Yes, but this would find your keywords only within thread titles. The OP wants to find his keywords in the threads, but have the search display the post within the thread, rather then have to look through 200 pages himself :)

Some search engines on forums, will display the thread your keywords hit a match to, but also show the specific post within that thread too. I agree that this would be a useful feature to add in here, as I too have simply ignored long threads for the OPs original reason.

I tried that function, but it would still only give me the first page of the thread at the first post, it only shows the posts in the preview. I need it to link me to the actual post the result was found in or I can't find anything.

PS What I'm looking for is all of Andy_C's posts containing the word .MODEL, so I can find any other of his good SPICE models and add them to the WIKI.

Thanks,
- keantoken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.