For fans of J.S. Bach’s Toccata and Fugue

Here’s a YouTube video of Accordion player Alexander Sevastian (apparently, R.I.P) masterfully performing Bach’s, perhaps, most famous work. Alexander’s Accordion sounds much akin to a pipe organ, minus the pedal notes. I must confess, that when I first watched this performance I sat transfixed. Never before realizing that an Accordion could sound good playing classical music. I had ignorantly thought them suitable only for polka. I don’t know what a virtuoso Accordion player sounds like, but I imagine they sound like Alexander does here. Although the video is from 10 years ago, I just now stumbled across it.

Reactions: 14 users
By some miracle, Virgil Fox came to our little town when I was 17. Set up in the auditorium that was surprisingly good and performed for 2 hours. At some point, I had to just close my eyes to keep from being distracted by this man's total body movement. His legs, arms, hands and feet were all over that organ. I knew to keep the performance in memory the best that I could because it would be never... that I could hear anything like this again with the hearing that I had.
Funny to say though, I recently got a CD of him performing, and the recording is not even close to being acceptable for listening. Bass blunted, and right at that point, I have no interest in the whatever the rest is being offered.