Flush mount speaker protection grill/cloth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm currently working on a high end speaker. Since it is rather expensive I'd like to protect it. The tweeter has a protection grill in the waveguide/faceplate. The woofer however does not.

The woofer I will be using is the new 6.5" midwoofer by Purifi. I was rather intruiged by the way focal makes their grills (image can be found below). I was wondering how they mount them.

It looks like the grills are mounted by magnets and the cloth is sandwiched between 2 parts. Is this correct? How could one make a grill that looks so clean (no mounting holes, perfectly flush with baffle).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You'll have noticed that the area immediately surrounding the drivers is recessed, allowing the grills to be mounted flush with the rest of the enclosure.

This is not so easy to do with a diy enclosure - but not impossible - presumably by using a router.

How would it stick to the enclosure then? Glue? Screws?

It has to be some kind of sandwiched design, but then screws would be impossible. It looks like glue/velcro/magnets seem like the only way.

You'll have noticed that the area immediately surrounding the drivers is recessed, allowing the grills to be mounted flush with the rest of the enclosure.

This is not so easy to do with a diy enclosure - but not impossible - presumably by using a router.

This is not a problem at all. I have a circle jig and router. Besides that, I will only use one woofer. Maybe my example was a bit unclear.

Is velcro and magnets seem like the only obvious way about mounting this grill to the baffle. Maybe some click mechanism works well.

Thanks for the tips so far everyone!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.