floating speakers: pro and con's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At the moment i'm working on a pair of lx mini's from the linkwitz site.
and although there is a dedicated lx mini forum i have a question which is more generally related. for the people who don't know the lx mini.

it is basically a PVC tube with a woofer on top with a full-rage driver at a 90 degree angle.

since the design is very, lets say dedicated. i would like to redesign it without losing the dedication but to make it a little more appealing to the eye.

one ot hthe parts i would like to redesign is the foot. which is basically a flat plate on 5 smaller feet. while discussing this with a friend i opened the option to put some sort of floating / suspending feet onder it (magnetic or rubber) at which he nearly declared me insane. In the mean time i rethought the entire issue and have an even better idea. but this a suspension based though. anyway he thought it would be a terrible idea as you would take away it's means to exhert it's force to the ground. meaning the drivers would loose a lot of acoustic energy into nothingness. i on the other hand though of it in a way it will not be able to transfer sound to the ground. loosinging an interefering soundboard.

overal i kinda had to agree with him, but reluctantly... but since them i found several designs of "high end" bluetooth speakers (laugh - laugh) which are floating in a magnetic field. which is advertised as improved sound.

so now i'm stuck with this idea and no idea if this will be good or not.

what is the general thouht anout this issue here?

is suspending any speaker into air in anyway so it can not exhert any force/sound to the ground positive or not?

hoping on some founded thoughts here.

kind greatings

Matthieu

Use rubberbands but from the top, not bottom - you know, center of gravity...
Also, major problem is the mid/treble unity: that needs to be detatched from the woofer ensemble, too. Same solution, but it implies another design.
Building a "dolly" might be exagerate. I use to suspend the speakers from the ceiling if it's high enough. Otherwise, no speakers at all :rolleyes:

Use rubberbands but from the top, not bottom - you know, center of gravity...

well yeah this is exactly what i had in mind. well a little bit more fancy than plain rubber band but same principle.

Also, major problem is the mid/treble unity: that needs to be detatched from the woofer ensemble, too. Same solution, but it implies another design.

I believe the entire lx mini setup to be just that. if not.. could you explain in a little bit more? as i'm missing your meaning (just a newby here)

Otherwise, no speakers at all :rolleyes:
why would you deside to not use speakers at all?

is this als better than let's say a wall mount. in which case there would be a force transfer but not much of a sound board but it would be to close to the wall.

sorry if i ask to much but i would really like to understand the physics behind it.

kind greatings

Matthieu

sorry if i ask to much but i would really like to understand the physics behind it.
Matthieu

Hi,

The LX Mini is sealed so bass output is entirely defined.

If you suspend the tube rather than rigidly couple it to the floor,
then in theory you will get a minor translation loss, related to
the mass of the cone versus the rest of the speaker, as all
forces must balance, but as I say it will be very minor.

The above relates to one simple physics principle, but
unfortunately the real world is much more complex.
As is the use of physics to make any predictions.

Only with all the details does physics make sense.

rgds, sreten.

yeah..

that is indeed how i saw it.. i was kinda looking for more detaiils. like differences in effects on high and low..

as you say the effect will be minor... but a minor effect on the minute details of sound can become humongus.. all is relative.

what do you mean with the bass is entirely defined? that it will have none or less effects on the bass than the full-range tweeter?

greatz matthieu

Hi,

Physics is based mostly on assumptions when it comes to reality.

Sadly assumptions hardly ever reflect reality except if your really
talented at understanding all the issues. In this case you want an
answer to all the issues related to one specific technical detail.

It doesn't work like that, your only real choice is to experiment.

rgds, sreten.

Thanks for your reply and i concure. experimenting is the best way to go. .

but part of good physics is building a hypothesis. based on all known bits of information with as much detail as possible and then prove or disprove that with experiments.

so all i'm doing is to get as much details and toughts ready. NOT expecting to get all information. With this i will be able to properly experiment or decide that it is a lost 'cause before i experiment and let it all be.

you know.. preparation, preparation and preparation and a bit of filosofie.

Kind greatings

Matthieu

I haven't seen those. Can you post a link or image? I would love to see that. Also any idea why he went away from that design?

In the mean while i've been thinking about making the suspension on the top as well as the bottom. With the rubbers at the top in a (45 degree?) Downward angle and the bottom in a upwards angle. Thus increasing the needed energy for movement and limiting this.

But then i feel like i'll end up with nothing more than virtually standing speakers, thus loosing the entire idea.

Kind greatings

Matthieu

I don't think Linkwitz pursued the suspended speaker idea very long, but he wrote an article about it. You can find it on his site HTTP://linkwitzlab.com. I think he decided it wasn't practical and offered few benefits, though it allowed him to study some things. His open baffle stuff came later.

Here you go http://linkwitzlab.com/Removed pages/x-sb80-3wy.htm

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.