Flat Earthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't say, Eddie. I have not been on earth long enough to accurately judge whether people are changing in intelligence. If I had to pick, I'd say we are getting smarter overall - not because of breeding, but because of the insane soup of information we live in.

Let's keep this! And the fact that stupidity or inteligence are not genetically heritable features!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Define old
50 years or more
Rod Serling's scripts for "Patterns of Power" and "Requiem for a Heavyweight' are as literate as TV gets
I don't dispute that. But the pacing and screen syntax is simple by today's standards. For my tastes, there is too much stuffed into today's scripts, I like the older shows and films. But I often catch myself thinking "OK, get on with it."

Joined 2008
Paid Member
OK as per Cal's suggestion:

Bwahahahaha!!!!

Trust me I got so frustrated with him I got to the point where I felt it would be best if he didn't pass his genes on and he drink a glass of bleach. But we all make mistakes and maybe he can get over the current mental hiccup. I will say he is VERY passionate about this subject. It bugs the heck out of me someone can think like this.

I actually like meeting people like that once in a while. However obstinate they might seem at the time, on reflection I'm forced to admit how certain I am about things I actually don't know, say things like the earth is round. I don't deny it but I haven't taken the time to prove it conclusively for myself and I can't say that in a thousand years there won't be some new understanding that let's people of that time see the world in an entirely different way than we can anticipate.
They're just perceptions (ways of organizing the data) after all, and subject to evolution just like evolution of the physical body that everybody seems to be fine with. If you deny this possibility, then you're in the same bag as your friend.

Anyway, I doubt this is the sort of consolation you were looking for so just sign your friend up for this (promo video here), get him to sit next to the pilot so he can keep an eye on the heading indicator.
If that doesn't do it, well, at least you'll know you got him the best available possibility for a very reasonable $2.5 x 10^5 (USD).

For Example: I like to watch old films and TV shows but find them to often be sooo slow and obvious. Like people just wouldn't get the point, the plot, the joke, is it wasn't slowly and obviously laid out for them. Films and TV today are so much more fast paced and complex. And we get it. Not much chance that's genetic, it's just training. Kids born this decade will be ever so much quicker than us - they'll think our media is slow and simple.

It has to do with experience with media. How many hours of television (media) have you watched in your life? Many people nowadays watch a thousand hours a year. Human stories tend to have the same tropes repeated over and over. Doesn't take long before you've almost literally seen it all.

I can't watch most shows anymore. I like Family Guy/Simpson/Futurama because there are so many non sequitur cutaway gags and unexpected social commentary.

Many Monkies more often than not are colour blind. This you might think is no big deal. It is because it makes finding food much slower. This sort of casts doubt on standard thinking about survival of the fittest. Whilst survival of the fittest is not really a true scientific principle many would think it so. It's is a bit of a Flat Earth perspective. I suppose it should be said when the environment gets very tough the concept is true. This may say that life never was tough enough for monkies. Perhaps us destroying their eco system will soon provoke what nature never could. On the tree of life model one might say humans with our mostly good colour vission might be the ones that mutated and did not regress. Like Quantum solutions we might one day find out what really makes this happen. As Holmes might have us understand.

" How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? "

I dare say Monkies have a better sense of smell than us to compensate. I still think not seeing red fruit is against survival.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Many Monkies more often than not are colour blind. This you might think is no big deal. It is because it makes finding food much slower. This sort of casts doubt on standard thinking about survival of the fittest. Whilst survival of the fittest is not really a true scientific principle many would think it so. It's is a bit of a Flat Earth perspective. I suppose it should be said when the environment gets very tough the concept is true. This may say that life never was tough enough for monkies. Perhaps us destroying their eco system will soon provoke what nature never could. On the tree of life model one might say humans with our mostly good colour vission might be the ones that mutated and did not regress. Like Quantum solutions we might one day find out what really makes this happen. As Holmes might have us understand.

" How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? "

I dare say Monkies have a better sense of smell than us to compensate. I still think not seeing red fruit is against survival.

Yes, it is about the differential survival rate. If there's enough food that all can eat as much as they need, regardless of whether they see color or not, there is no survival penalty.

Similarly with humans. Some can take of themselves better than others but the survival link is weak because we live in a time of plenty for all.
That may chance after the first nukes have fallen :cool:

Jan

Jan

Without getting in too deep that's what I think others were saying about humans.

I think someone said death and income tax are the two inescapables. In the good book tax was never far from the story.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche was perhaps the most stupid man in history. Doubtless everything he said was true. However it really never should have been said. I think the thing he sent upon the Earth killed him. Einstein also wished he hadn't I am told.

Mr H's final guess at the Nile was almost that. He so nearly got it right when speaking of snow melts far way. He thought it unlikely.

Later he described how the source of the Nile might be found. He was mostly right and what he didn't know he said wise things about. Like plenty of food needed to cross the desert parts of the Nile. He predicted the Nile would shift to the Red Sea in 20 000 years. Few after that time could think like that ( or now ). He couild think back 11 000 years I seem to remember. He finds the Sphinx mysterious as no one knows who put it there.

Chicken and egg. It seems to me that the egg came first as it is easier to get working. Natually the DNA has to be right. We then have questions about minimum viable groups. Many similar types sex is determined by incubation temperature. If a mother detects lack of males she is programed to make males by temperture and not DNA roulette. The same group rescues turtles. It was thought they were eating them. They seem to make similar noises as that mothers babies.

On the Farm where I worked before and during college all farming showed how careful we had to be with the animals. Doubtless selection for food production took away their survival skills. Knowing humans to be very fragile it seems impossible to think we stood a chance. Logic dicates a warm constant climate with little or no illness like Malaria. Half way up a mountain in Africa perhaps?

I see that as perfectly possible and yet so unlikely. One specualtion I came up with is that initial mutation is very strong and it is only in later generations when unhelpful mutation takes place like Down's. However, that seems wrong.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Chicken and egg. It seems to me that the egg came first

That is not how it worked. You can't say, today there is no egg and no chicken, tomorrow all of a sudden we have an egg and a few days later a chicken.
If you could travel backwards in time observing the evolution of chicken, you would see that the both the chicken and egg took many millennia to evolve from some ancestors and gradually turned in the chicken we know today, and that similarly the way of giving birth to offspring via eggs evolved from an ancestor toward animals that use eggs for the purpose.

Just as when you would retrace the evolution of an eye you would end up at some point with a animal that has some heat/light sensitive patches on its skin that, through the countless millennia, evolved in eyes as we see nowadays on many animals.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If a mother detects lack of males she is programed to make males by temperture and not DNA roulette.

But the 'production' of predominantly males instead of 50/50 males females is of course directed by the DNA. If it is triggered by temperature, that only means the temperature made some DNA active that is not active otherwise.

Jan

Speed of light is infinite for everyday use
Light propagates in straight line for everyday use
Gravity is constant for everyday use
Mass of particles is constant for everyday use
Time goes at the same pace everywhere for everyday use
Earth is flat for everyday use

Sometimes we can see beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.