• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Fixing 60's German tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Glad to see that you fixed it. The ELL80 tube may also be replaced by the comparatively less scarce ECLL800 tube, when the output transformer does not have a ultralinear tap. In most instances no adapters and modifications at all are required, but to be on the safe side pin1 should be disconnected from the circuit (or bent out). I attach the original manufacturer technical note.

Attachments

• ECLL800-ELL80-Ersatz.gif
    ECLL800-ELL80-Ersatz.gif
    46.5 KB · Views: 94
No need to bend out the ECLL800's pin 1, as this might easily lead to cracks in the glass. Just swap the orignal wire from pin 1 to 9 and then connect pins 1 and 7 at the socket. This is what SEL recommends.

Btw, I've successfully replaced two ELL80's in a NORDMENDE stereo console by four EL90/6AQ5's, using similar adaptors as the OP did (same pinout as EL95). Due to the higher heater curent, I had to disconnect the dial lights and replace them by LED's. Additionally, one has to regard that the EL 90 needs more drive as the EL95. In my case, this didn't matter, though.

Best regards!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.