• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Fisher Output Transformer ID

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of transformers that purportedly came from one of the Fisher X-100 variants, but I'm not too sure about that. The part number is T781-116-1A. They look about the right physical size for use with 6BQ5s or 7189s, and I plan to use them for the next revision of my "No light District " with a pair of 6P14P-EV outputs. Anyone familiar with the part number? I'm going to throw the transformers on the bench anyway and check them out, but it would be nice to know a little bit more about their pedigree.

I have a pair of transformers that purportedly came from one of the Fisher X-100 variants, but I'm not too sure about that. The part number is T781-116-1A. They look about the right physical size for use with 6BQ5s or 7189s, and I plan to use them for the next revision of my "No light District " with a pair of 6P14P-EV outputs. Anyone familiar with the part number? I'm going to throw the transformers on the bench anyway and check them out, but it would be nice to know a little bit more about their pedigree.
I've got a pair, T781-116-1A/2A. My notes say Fisher X-100. The 1A, 2A indicate different lead lengths for right and left channel (or the other way around), I think.

If I remember correctly, the primary wires are blue, blue-white stripe, and red. The red is the HV connection. Secondaries are black, yellow, green and brown. Black is ground/secondary return, yellow is 4 ohms, green is 8 ohms and brown is 16. I'll check tomorrow when I bring the transformer in to work for measurements to make sure,

I have an X100 with 7189 sockets (currently JJ-EL84 w. no problems)
If I remember to look and see OPT part numbers, I'll write them down
or take a photo. Tried 6P14P-EV, but did not sound like the crossover
was biased right. Since the JJs worked without rebias, I just went JJ.

Thats not anything against 6P14P-EV if building from scratch. Mine
certainly did not blow up at scary 7189 style voltages or anything...
Then again, I was watching with white knuckles, ready to yank the
plug if they did... Nothing fatal ever happened.

Last edited:
Findings with 50V, 300Hz plate-plate excitation plate-plate (Blu - Blu/Yel), Red CT wire left open
4 ohm output (Blk-Brn ) is 1.21V, turns ratio is 41.32:1, impedance 6830:4

8 ohm output (Blk-Grn) is 1.75V, turns ratio 28.57:1, impedance 6529:8

16 ohm output (Blk-Yel) is 2.29V, turns ratio 21.83:1, impedance 7625:16

Primary inductance is 115H plate-plate

As a comparison to the Fisher transformers, here's the numbers from one of a pair of transformers that reportedly came from a Knight 6BQ5 amp. Since they weigh in at 1.5 lb vs. 2.35 lb for the Fisher transformers, I wouldn't expect them to fare as well in the inductance department. Anyway, for 50V, 300V excitation plate-plate;

4 ohm tap (Blk-Yel), 1.147V turns ratio 43.59:1, impedance ratio 7600:4

8 ohm tap (Blk-Grn), 1.666V, turns ratio 30.0:1, impedance ratio 7206:8

16 ohm tap (Blk-Orn) 2.346V, turns ratio 21.31:1, impedance ratio 7268:16

Primary excitation current is 0.605 mA, so primary inductance is 43.9H.

I would pair these guys with smaller 9W tubes like 6AQ5/6005, 6BK5, or maybe a high gm tube like 6HB6 for some Schade feedback (either spectacularly low output impedance or spectacular oscillation). First, though, they get a big scrub-down, as they stink hugely of cigarettes. I hate to think of the room where this amp was stationed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.