FirstWatt J2

Received those PCB, Thank you Patrick for the layout.
They are the revised version, and 2 oz copper.
As I have 5 of them, and will only need 2, is there anybody in France or Europe in need of a pair? I'll let them go at cost, which is very low.

191104093909149089.jpg

FW J2 10 years old. Maitenance issues?

May I kindly ask for opinion on the durability of the FW J2. I am in Japan, and the PL dealer no longer sells the FW J2. So, I must turn to the second hand market, where 3-4 come up during the year. Some of these are of an early vintage (2010 or so). Would there be a concern about the durability of the FW J2 for that period of time - specifically would there be maintenance needs coming up to the age? Thank you for your opinion. [PS. My first post here, and I apolgize in advance for any transgressions of etiquette.]

You can purchase new from Reno Hifi and have it shipped to you.

First Watt Products

May I kindly ask for opinion on the durability of the FW J2. I am in Japan, and the PL dealer no longer sells the FW J2. So, I must turn to the second hand market, where 3-4 come up during the year. Some of these are of an early vintage (2010 or so). Would there be a concern about the durability of the FW J2 for that period of time - specifically would there be maintenance needs coming up to the age? Thank you for your opinion. [PS. My first post here, and I apolgize in advance for any transgressions of etiquette.]

Thank you all for your valuable perspective. Now, I feel confident to purchase an FW J2 even (or especially) one that has stood the test of time. (BTW, Mark-san at Reno explained that he could not sell to Japan-where I reside-due to distribution territories, yet the Japan distributor does not have the J2. Thus, my options became limited to the vagaries of the second-hand market.)

Thank you all for your valuable perspective. Now, I feel confident to purchase an FW J2 even (or especially) one that has stood the test of time. (BTW, Mark-san at Reno explained that he could not sell to Japan-where I reside-due to distribution territories, yet the Japan distributor does not have the J2. Thus, my options became limited to the vagaries of the second-hand market.)

I would have no problem buying a used one, especially in japan...the land of well cared for personal items. The only thing that would possibly need replacing are the psu caps and there are so many places in Tokyo to get that done...or at least there were 15 years ago when I lived in Tokyo. I have friends running a record shop near Shibuya...They can provide some info on repair/service places if you need it.

But the caps should be good for another 10 years or so. The caps in my DIY F5 were made in 1996!

32v rails/2 pairs of toshiba mosfets/Hammond chokes in psu. 5U chassis...bias is 1.8A.

It has enough power for non-sissy speakers. I don’t like all that single driver/efficient stuff.

It’s a nice amp to play around with preamps with. Which is mostly what I do.

Currently listening to it with the b1 Korg which is real nice.

If I had a J2...and I’d like to, I might prefer it to the f5. Who knows.