First time diy nearfield kit advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, after looking around for some nearfield speakers for my desk (will mainly be used for music and the occasional movie) I stumbled upon the diy audio scene with the G R research LGK 1.0 kit. I've read some good stuff about this kit but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for something they think sounds better at this price point. I enjoy woodworking and have experience in soldering but i don't have a great understanding of the technical side of speakers, so id like to go with either a kit or perhaps a popular setup. Thanks!

No experience with the G R research kit, but if you enjoy woodworking, you'll surely want to build something that looks a little nicer IMHO, and uses Baltic Birch ply instead of MDF. A box of ~5L is relatively unobtrusive, with a wide array of drivers that will work in this size cabinet. Head on over to Planet_10 hifi and check out some of the box designs:

planet_10 hifi

Frugal-phile | Box Library

jeff

No experience with the G R research kit, but if you enjoy woodworking, you'll surely want to build something that looks a little nicer IMHO, and uses Baltic Birch ply instead of MDF. A box of ~5L is relatively unobtrusive, with a wide array of drivers that will work in this size cabinet. Head on over to Planet_10 hifi and check out some of the box designs:

planet_10 hifi

Frugal-phile | Box Library

jeff

Considering your relatively close proximity to Dave (Planet 10 hifi), this is AWESOME advice. Even if the trip isn't do-able, he's got some great designs and a lot of knowledge he shares on his website.
Near-field listening really lends itself to single driver speakers, in my opinion and experience. Dave has a lot of single driver designs he shares.
Mike

Not altogether unbiased opinion / recommendations, I guess, but:
drivers:
FF85WK , Alpair6P (for nearfield I prefer paper cones myself, although with their metal ridged dome dustcap/ tweeter, the WK series could be considered "hybrids")

enclosures:
Dave's microFonken/ mini-onken , or the appropriately sized Woden Baby-lab /TL

I've built/ heard them all, and the sequence of my suggestions is not random, but I could live with any of them.

Oh, and BTW, high-pass filter any of them in the 180-300 Hz range and you have the heart of a pretty decent FAST system

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've built/ heard them all, and the sequence of my suggestions is not random, but I could live with any of them.

And he uses a set of uFonkenWK at the office, and a set of solid black walnut uFonkenSET at home (both with tricked out FF85wKeN).

blackWalnut-uFonkenSET-comp.jpg

I have 2 pr of uFonkenPlus & a set of uFonkenSET upstairs, Scott Lindgren's solid Garry Oak uFonkenSET in my office and a set of uMar-Ken6 (with A6PeN) in my suitcase system.

Jeff has a pair of mMar-Ken6p on his computer.

Flat-paks for the 4 rectangular boxes are available, some of the plans are free (mMar-Ken6p & uFonkenWK) and some cost a small amount (they include more detailed drawing sets for the free boxes & more plans).

As Chris says, if one adds helper woofers an outstanding FAST can be made (we have a number of examples and the plansets have documented add them later woofTs)

You are welcome to come over for a listen, you should certainly think about coming over for Vancouver Island diyFEST (#13 Aug 20 -- i guess i should start a thread for that). I'll have to think about whether i know of anyone over there in Canada with a set you might be able to audition.

dave

I have not heard the GR LGK kit, but I trust Danny's taste and would expect it to be a good sounding unit and a good value. It looks like a lower efficiency unit with a passive crossover, therefore IME the sound is probably going to be a little more conventionally hifi, laid back and forgiving. It might be a good choice if listening to a lot of pop music and movies, etc.

If you are a budding audiophile and want to be amazed by detail resolution and realism, then something like the speakers chrisb suggested would be preferable IMHO.

It's somewhat of a matter of taste.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.