• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

First time baby Huey amplifier build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, its finally finished. The project got back-burnered for a while when I was getting settled into the new job and new city, but I finally got the amp finished and sitting on my desk. Here are some pictures so you can see how it turned out.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

@soonerorlater No, I'm just using this as a mono amp right now with the left and right channels bridged into one. I only use it to play music at my desk, so the mono sound is just fine for me. I've started gearing up for a stereo project with phonograph input that I intend to use in my house. I'm still trying to decide on a schematic, but I know I want at least 50 Watts per channel.

@Bas -- The two switches are so I can turn on the heater fillaments separate from the high voltage circuits. I did this so that I can bring the high voltage online after the tubes had already warmed up instead of at the same time. Additionally if I am only going to be turning the amp off for an hour or less I like to leave the heaters on to reduce thermal cycling. It was my thought that the above two measures would increase the lifespan of my tubes.

I am using a pre-made vu driver board. You just hook up all the connections then tweak it a little with some resistors to get the scale to work right with the amp. It was pretty easy to do, and less time consuming than coming up with my own circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.